New exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New exhaust system

Hopefully this system wont put vapors into the car like station wagons are famous for.
    Dual 50 series flow masters that I had layin around, currently they dump at an angle before the rear axle or about even with the rear seat.

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

So...How do 50 series Flowmasters sound with a Stude V-8? Loud, mellow, raspy or what? [?] I eventually want a good sounding set of mufflers on the Daytona.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

So...How do 50 series Flowmasters sound with a Stude V-8? Loud, mellow, raspy or what? [?] I eventually want a good sounding set of mufflers on the Daytona.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      Makes it sound like a Hemi actually everyone asks if I have a big block under the hood, sounds throaty

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
      259cid flight o matic

Comment

Be advised that if your weatherstrips leak around the rear window or you like to occasionally drive with it open, the exhaust will be sucked into the car because of the vacuum caused by the square-back Wagon shape. They need to exit diagonally and down out of the rear corners of the bumper.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Be advised that if your weatherstrips leak around the rear window or you like to occasionally drive with it open, the exhaust will be sucked into the car because of the vacuum caused by the square-back Wagon shape. They need to exit diagonally and down out of the rear corners of the bumper.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          I have all the door seals brand new from sasco sitting in a bag waiting to be installed but need paint first
          upon further review im going to run them to the oem,location but nobody around here wants to bend pipe enough to go over the rear axle
          so I will shop for some tubing that can be used and do it that way.
          maybe a call into sasco is in order

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
          259cid flight o matic

Comment

At least there ain't much plastic on a Stude body. Had a new exhaust poorly installed on a Pontiac Safari wagon and one trip to Montreal melted not only the rear valence, but the tail light and the bezel, as well! Smokin! Your tail lights are out of the way, for sure.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

I have all the door seals brand new from sasco sitting in a bag waiting to be installed but need paint first upon further review im going to run them to the oem, location but nobody around here wants to bend pipe enough to go over the rear axle so I will shop for some tubing that can be used and do it that way.
              I think I'd find a better exhaust shop... [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
              big loud pipes RULE!!!!!
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

I have all the door seals brand new from sasco sitting in a bag waiting to be installed but need paint first upon further review im going to run them to the oem, location but nobody around here wants to bend pipe enough to go over the rear axle so I will shop for some tubing that can be used and do it that way.
                I think I'd find a better exhaust shop... [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                big loud pipes RULE!!!!!
                I called them all in the phone book, only one Midas shop will do it but its a 30 min drive and leaving the car over night, which is in a bad neighborhood

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                259cid flight o matic

Comment

would this be the page for me to order what I need?
                  http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...hp119x126.html

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                  259cid flight o matic

Comment

In addition to SASCO, there are at least two vendors that advertise exhaust systems in TW. Silvertone and Parks Pipes.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

part numbers 1549553 and 1549555 are what Im looking at, does that seem,correct?

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                      259cid flight o matic

Comment

If you order stock exhaust pipes (muffler to exit), your muffler will have to be in the EXACT spot as a factory installed muffler. Doubtful if you have had a portion of the exhaust system replaced AND if you did not have a stock length muffler installed.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

actually he'd have to be pretty close to the factory locations just to get the pipes through the x-member. So I bet a pair of new factory-style tailpipes would fix him up, if a muffler shop couldn't bend/stretch a short piece of pipe to hook up the tailpipes to the mufflers as they are I'd be pretty disappointed. Likely a simple piece of straight exhaust pipe from the FLAPS would be all that is needed.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

all im looking for is the bends that go over the axle, seems thats too complicated for Midas to pull off which is lame.
                            or have the exhaust exit in front of the rear tires, but the fumes might still make there way into the back

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                            259cid flight o matic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Are you sure that will solve the fume issue? That would be great to know! I had somebody tell me that the only way to keep fumes coming in a Wagonaire with the top open is top stay still and leave the engine off[xx(] My Lark wagon is terrible regardless of window/gate position, but I'm hoping new exhaust will fix it.

Is it really possible to make 'em fume free??

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X