1961 lark 259 ignition parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ref post # 14;

Jack, I bought a vacuum advance from NAPA two weeks ago. The brand name was 'Standard' and on the box end flap it had "made in Mexico". The good news .....the box was "made in USA". Oh well 1/2 a banana IS better than no banana! Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089

Comment

Didn’t look to see where parts came from but will check tomorrow

Comment

Are we as a Forum taking the tone that “if not made in the USA, then it’s inferior”?

Good grief.

All Dodge Chargers and all Dodge Challengers are only made in Canada, and yet America loves them.

Radiator caps and spark plugs and rotors and condensers can be made anywhere with US tooling and engineering but by non-US hands. With excellent quality.

Welcome to your global economy.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
          Are we as a Forum taking the tone that “if not made in the USA, then it’s inferior”?

Good grief.

All Dodge Chargers and all Dodge Challengers are only made in Canada, and yet America loves them.

Radiator caps and spark plugs and rotors and condensers can be made anywhere with US tooling and engineering but by non-US hands. With excellent quality.

Welcome to your global economy.
          Yes, No, Maybe. US tooling and engineering produce excellent quality offshore only when there is constant, consistent quality control of the production Those of us who have to deal with auto parts every day know the reality of the "global economy." Some offshore production is excellent; some is junk.

The worst thing is one can never count on the same part being from the same country two orders in a row. We've lost count of the old line name brand US companies which sent their production offshore, only to get back inferior or random quality. When they can't get consistent quality, they move to another offshore supplier. Maybe better, maybe not. Since ignition parts are too many small boxes to check each piece, they especially have suffered this fate.

However, it's not all bad. If it's a small-quantity-high-value part, on those a US seller can exercise in-house quality control on every piece, Today, some performance parts are a better bargain than ever in history; forged stroker crankshafts and connecting rods come to mind.

Specifically for Studebaker, the made-in-Taiwan pistons SI is selling for Champions are better than original equipment.

Your opinions and results may vary with how many parts you order and handle every day.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Ref ; post # 18

Ah.....it was not an issue on my mind, is it on yours? Having 45+ years in manufacturing it is a simple, single point (in many points that make up the product profile) that combines to make the finished product design / service life. I make everyday purchase decisions based on service life, quality and pricing....it works for items from toilet paper to cars to media providers. Nothing like looking at things from an engineers glasses, : > ) I will openly admit that it drives me nuts when I can not purchase the level of quality I need and also I have little appreciation for non repairable items. I am not a throw way product type of guy. I also concede that society has NO interest or ABILITY anymore to fix stuff. And so it is and I must accept / yield to the masses. We (I?) have strayed from the topic and may have made this more complicated than it needed to be. If you think so OOPS, I am sorry but it is the way I operate. : > ) Just think of my poor wife of 50 + years! Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089

Comment

I don't believe that it's a question of country of manufacture as much as the the quality desired. Americans have shown themselves to be cheapskates when presented with a choice of cost vs quality. They seem all too willing to take a chance on a inferior product if they can save a buck. There is no place that exemplifies this better then the after market auto, parts business. That's why why NAPA, like everyone else, has gone to offering different quality levels on many of their parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                I don't believe that it's a question of country of manufacture as much as the the quality desired. Americans have shown themselves to be cheapskates when presented with a choice of cost vs quality. They seem all too willing to take a chance on a inferior product if they can save a buck.
                For true. Back in my previous life, I visited factories in China. When I asked why, with their then low labor costs, their products weren't better quality? They said, "It's your fault. When your buyers come here, they never say, 'How good can you make it?' They only ask, 'How cheap can you make it.'"

I was then taken to some factories which made machinery and tools for European companies. The European quality control inspectors there told me the Chinese machines met every quality test as well as those made in the home country.

Bottom line, Chinese factories and workers are capable of as high quality work as anyone, if those buying the products are willing to pay for that quality.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

I always thought that was the reason American Companies were buying from China in the First Place, simply to beat the very High Cost of Union Workers Labor here.
                  Also to beat the "Other Guy's" Price.

Problem is, to be competitive, ALL the suppliers have to cave and cheapen their Product or be priced out of Business by the irresponsible ones, very much as Studebaker was, but they DID NOT CAVE, they chose death!

But it IS true, they are too busy watching THEIR Bottom Line to care at all about Quality, Longevity, Replacements Parts, Service, or Warranty's.

Just throw your 5 Year Old, Top of line Appliance in the dump and buy a New one.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here’s the NAPA parts no. For the 1962 prestolite distributor , there made in Mexico. Left to right, rotor , points, condenser
                    Al125 cs729a Al 868
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Herb; 12-18-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb View Post
                      Here’s the NAPA parts no. For the 1962 Prestolite Starter , they're made in Mexico. Left to right, Rotor, Points, Condenser AL125, CS729a, AL 868
                      Make that DISTRIBUTOR tune-up Parts!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Dang sorry about that I was working on my starter today , had that on my mind but meant distributor 🤪

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          I always thought that was the reason American Companies were buying from China in the First Place, simply to beat the very High Cost of Union Workers Labor here.
                          Also to beat the "Other Guy's" Price.

Problem is, to be competitive, ALL the suppliers have to cave and cheapen their Product or be priced out of Business by the irresponsible ones, very much as Studebaker was, but they DID NOT CAVE, they chose death!

But it IS true, they are too busy watching THEIR Bottom Line to care at all about Quality, Longevity, Replacements Parts, Service, or Warranty's.

Just throw your 5 Year Old, Top of line Appliance in the dump and buy a New one.
                          A few months ago I threw out my 25-month-old Maytag clothes washer because it had broken down twice, the first time just one month after the 1 year warranty expired. I bought an American-made Speed Queen washer (7 year warranty). It seems to require much more diligence to find quality now than years ago.
                          --Dwight

Comment

Working...
                          X