Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Great idea. Fords had a short standpipe which served as a reserve to keep you from running out of gas (8N) Keeps crud on the bottom of the tank from being sucked into the fuel line. Tried to do something like that with a Studebaker gas tank and failed bigly.

Leave a comment:

• Corbinstein0
    replied
    I had an Allis that would drive me nuts for the same reason. I ended up putting a home-made Stand-pipe up into the tank half an inch.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Who hasn't lost that little steel ball? Wonder if #4 birdshot would be an appropriate replacement?? Won't work without it! Does sound like fuel delivery. My 57 Clipper had the fuel line nearly pinched shut where it was foolishly routed between the frame and terra very firma. Replace and reroute. Disconnect the fuel line at the pump and see if you can easily draw fuel from the tank. If not the problem is in the tank or the line. Sometimes the pickup inside the tank is completely clogged with rust and crud (or tank sealer) If you can pull gas up easily, it is the pump fuel line, fuel filter or carb. It sounds like you can start it, use the gas out of the float bowl and it quits, So, why should it start after 20 min??? The float bowl would still be empty. My John Deere was the most cold blooded thing years ago and it finally annoyed me to the point of fixing it. Got a carb kit which I did not need 'cause there was crud in the inlet with only a pin hole to allow gas into the carb. The rest of it was clean as can be--very strange. (just bought one of those little balls for $3 which it looks like I didn't need. Of course there is always the needle stuck in the seat or the float failing to drop. Sometimes a little percussive adjustment can shake them loose.

Leave a comment:

• wbish6363
    replied
    I'm going to rebuild the carb, I took it apart and cleaned what I could, but some of it is rusty and oxidized or something. I may have also lost a tiny little ball bearing from somewhere in there haha. It's not the one under the plunger thing, that's a little bigger ball them the one I lost

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Omaha View Post
    I had an old car with an original gas tank. The tank began rusting, and when the engine was running, the debris would be sucked into the fuel filter and cause the car to die.
    When the car was turned off, the debris would slowly settle back down, and eventually allow it to be started again. Had to replace the gas tank, and problem fixed.
    Not to worry if you own a Studebaker, there are NO in-Tank Filters or "Sock's".
    Only the slim possibility of a Large object like a Rag or something getting sucked onto the Fuel Line Output Tube.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Omaha
    replied
    I had an old car with an original gas tank. The tank began rusting, and when the engine was running, the debris would be sucked into the fuel filter and cause the car to die.
    When the car was turned off, the debris would slowly settle back down, and eventually allow it to be started again. Had to replace the gas tank, and problem fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Just to point out you can remove the needle and seat on that carb (takes about two minutes if you dwawdle) without disturbing anything else. It just unscrews where the fuel line goes in. A little cleanup might get you up and running with really minimum fuss.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Good call Stude Rich, BTDT!!! Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The Original and from "the Day" needle SEAT Fitting, had very Fine Screen inside, that would clog, Quit and then slowly let Fuel seep in and then Run for a bit, that WILL Fool you!

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    At least you have it narrowed down to the carb. It is most likely not "done for". If it ran good before this , it should be good, cleaned up and rebuilt.

Leave a comment:

• wbish6363
    replied
    So I replaced the fuel filter, no change. Disconnected fuel line from carb and ran into a clear jar. Plenty of fuel delivery it seems. I'm assuming carb is just done for? I was able to spray ether into it and keep it running. My guess is there's a blockage in the carb potentially?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Make sure the gas cap is the vented type.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    I also believe that it is starving for fuel, but it sounds to me like the problem may be at the tank. Overnight, the gas trickles into the line and it will run on that for 20 seconds or so, then no more fuel comes from the tank. If you can blow back through the line with 10 or 15 pounds of air to clear the line. If it runs after that, you may have to pull the tank and clean it, or have it cleaned. Good Luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    You may be drawing air in or have a restriction. Have the fuel lines been replaced, both flexible and solid? Sometimes you can get a pinhole that will draw air in but be hard to find. These are often at the clamps on the line.

Leave a comment:

• wbish6363
    replied
    Ok I'm going to try that today, fuel filter does have very little fuel, maybe it's clogged. Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X