Another Radio Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Another Radio Question

My 1956 President radio plays but all the numbers fell off. As I understand the glass face plate is NLA. I found a radio on Ebay for $21.00 and it was advertised as a "test radio" On the back of the radio is a sticker Model AC 2746, Serial V-6634, Delco Radio Division. The glass is perfect and the radio looks like it has never been in a car.

1. Is this the right radio for my car. I know the speaker is not part of the radio. The radio has black wire with a fuse and it is a long wire. No connector do I see. There are two braided wires coming out of the radio with a 3 prong plug at the end. The third wire has a connector at the end.

2. I read the post on the 50 champion radio. Other than the test to a 12 volt battery, what do I need to do to test this out? If this is a good radio, I would replace the working radio in the car and keep the other for spare parts. Should I take it to a radio/audio store to test it out?

3. If it is a bad radio, what do I have to do to remove the face plate without damaging it? I can send pictures if needed from the radio I got from Ebay.

Thanks for your help

Bob Miles

Does the Face, Knobs etc. all resemble your '56 Radio and are they Push Button 8 Tube or 6 Tube Manual Tuning.
    All of my AC Number listings for Delco Radios Start at 1961, so no help there.

If it were a true Prototype it would probably not have a Studebaker AC Number, it's probably just NOS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres. Classic Blue08.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1869948
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

AC 2746 is the manual tuning radio for 56/57 Studebaker sedans and wagons.

The glass is the same for all 56/57 Studebaker factory radios.

Do not take the radio to a repair shop just to test it. Their eyes will roll back into their heads, and they will throw you out, after giving you a lot of bad advice.

All you need is a 12 volt battery, two jumper leads and an antenna.

Would you provide the eBay link, please? I do not see it anywhere.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

It does resemble my manual tuning radio in the 56. I bought it sometime ago and just now took it out of the box. Maybe when I visit my sister in Reno, I can take a day trip to Redwood City and have the expert check it out. I am planning a visit probably in January.

I will log onto Ebay and see if I can find the listing under my ebay.

Bob

Comment

If the radio in your car works, you can just swap out the glass. Or, you can swap out the whole front panel of the radio case if both radios are manual tuning.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-12-2020, 04:29 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I am sure that you can get a decal made from a decal shop to place on the glass. I had the numbers fall off my speedometer and the decal shop made a decal and replaced the numbers. You can't tell, the fount and color are exactly the same.

Comment

Both Radios are manual tuning so swaping out the glass would probably be way to go. I can then get a decal shop or silk screen place to duplicate the numbers. We had a Studebaker Dealer sticker in Tucson duplicated: Ed Comitz Studebaker done by a silk screen process.

Bob Miles

Comment

Dan Skidmore has replacement dial glass for your radio which I where I get them when I do a restoration on 1956 and 1957 radios. You can contact him at ddskid@outlook.com or 310-613-1465. He also has many reconditioned Studebaker and Packard radios for sale. Bud

Comment

I thought Dan retired, and was selling his remaining stock?

Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Dan is retiring and plans on selling what he has in inventory. He does have many reproduced parts for Studebaker radios still in stock which he would like to sell, but has no plans on having more parts such as dial glass reproduced. I will continue to do repairs and restorations to Studebaker and Packard radios so that part of Dan's business will still continue. Bud

Comment

Thanks Brad and Bud,

Here is a good business opportunity for someone, if Dan wants to sell all his remaining inventory. We have vendors for rubber, glass, mechanical etcetera but there will still be a need for those that want to keep the stock radio.

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
                      X