Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbstude
    replied
    Jeff, in reference to Dwain’s comment, I have an NOS Saginaw steering box for a pickup. There’s one or two pieces I couldn’t find, but I’d bet you have the skills and equipment to make those.
    Last edited by mbstude; 12-15-2020, 02:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Corbinstein0
    replied
    I think the Corn Head grease would be the best option. I put STP in mine!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    It's been a few years since I rebuilt mine, but the design causes the output shaft to be difficult to seal. I remember there being room to add a second seal while you're there.

Also, remember the specified oil is not commonly available, so order it ahead of opening for a rebuild.

jack vines, who drove his E12 for thirty years without PS, but now has gone to the dark side and enjoys the GM PS conversion.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Saginaw units were used in just a few thousand 2R trucks. One of those probably would not be easily found today.
    Apparently these would have been early 1952 models.
    Last edited by Dwain G.; 12-11-2020, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Markham
    replied
    Jeff,

As Skip pointed out, Studebaker used only one Ross steering box from mid 50 to 59 for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. If you are lucky, then the short cut remedies thus far mentioned will take most of the play out, but probably not all. By this time, most have enough ware in the cam lever shaft (shaft itself), in the pin studs and in the post and cam (worm) to render these short cut remedies worthless.

Condition of these two items is most important, because these two items are virtually non-existent! Some of the internal parts used in the early jeep Ross box are interchangeable, but the post and cam and cam lever shaft are to dissimilar to interchange. Cam lever shaft is different size and length. I can't remember if the Post and cam is longer, or shorter then the one used in the TA-12 box, but it won't work. You can salvage the worm gear off the end and have it swedged onto the original shaft by a competent machine shop. The original cam lever shaft can be turned and oversize bushings be made for it. There is enough room to make them a little longer to give added stability to the shaft, too. The pin studs can be replaced using some from the jeep cam and lever, by removing them and installing in the original cam lever. Some welding and machining may be required going into the original stud holes? I can't remember if the shaft end of the pin is bigger, or smaller then the original. Either event, it's workable.

A lot of machine work involved, but it can be done. That's one of the things we do....... Most all of the industrial machine shops have closed in this area, but I don't see why TLC can't do the job. Charley is pretty keen eyed about stuff....... He does about 90 percent of my engine machine work......

Bo

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Originally posted by Corbinstein0 View Post
    if it's a TA-12 style box, they can be rebuilt as long as the worm is ok. New bushings, and the "Teeth" removed and turned 90 degrees. there's a writeup somewhere on it.
    Thanks for that info.
    Found this searching....
    My quest for knowledge continues...

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....2-steering-box

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    The TA12 box was used in all half and 3/4-ton trucks from midway through the 2R series through the end of the 1959 4E series. There are a lot of them around, but probably not many in better shape than yours.

Leave a comment:

• Corbinstein0
    replied
    if it's a TA-12 style box, they can be rebuilt as long as the worm is ok. New bushings, and the "Teeth" removed and turned 90 degrees. there's a writeup somewhere on it.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    started a topic Steering: C-cab Steering Box Question.

C-cab Steering Box Question.

Question for the parts guru's..
    Ccab trucks. 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton.
    Were there many steering boxes used through production?
    Was there a better/best box in the later years?

Have some wear in a '58 3E11 steering box. Considering rebuilding, or replacing.
    What are my options/choices?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Jeff
Working...
X