Seal porous float Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Seal porous float Bowl

What sealant stops Carter AFB float Bowl leak down? Someone recommended Fel-Pro Blu. Any experience with epoxy?

Someone with more knowledge may correct me but, I believe the original factory coatings for carburetors was a zinc chromate.
    Over the years and multiple rebuilds these coatings wear or wash off, increasing the leak down or evaporation through the porous cast body of the carburetor.
    Re-chromating the body should help; and Dave Thibeault does that when he restores a carb.

http://colorserver.net/history/histo...c-chromate.htm
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

For many years I have successfully sealed the jet wells on Rochester Quadrajet 4 bbl carburetors with a product called: MarineTex. I am sure JB Weld would probably accomplish the same thing.
      Luck, Bill

Comment

I would use POR15 tank sealer. It won't come off.

Comment

Are you sure the fuel isnt just evaporating, a leaky aluminum float bowl is rare in my experience. pot metal fuel bowls are a different can of worms! Luck Doofus

Comment

Just like the gubment to be so worried about air pollution from evaporating gasoline that they required gas to be more volatile. Right, I've never encountered a leaky float bowl that wasn't gasket or crack related.

Comment

Working...
            X