Keeping Parts from cracked V8 blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Keeping Parts from cracked V8 blocks

I've been told to keep valves, push rods, lifters, pistons, etc. in relation to where they came out of the block. If the block is un-useable, badly cracked, can these components ever be used in another block? And can cams and crankshafts ever be used in another block? I have two sets of all of these parts, and running out of room.

If its inadvisable to put these parts in other blocks, then I will keep them sorted to the blocks they go to, if ever I try to fix the blocks. If they can be used in other blocks, I might go another route.

Thanks.
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Running out of room is a problem a lot of us have had. Just how much do we and can we keep ? As for as the used parts go, thousands of the parts you have mentioned have been swapped to other engines, and not necessarily in the same hole. I started cleaning up my collection of stuff in 1984. Had to close my eyes when I was loading some of the loads going to scrap

Comment

Flash wrote - and not necessarily in the same hole.
      Well, not so fast there Flash.

A crankshaft can be used in any engine block. It's just one part. Should be stored standing up if not in a block.
      A rod/piston can..."possibly" be used in another block, as long as the bore is the same. No need to keep in in any order. Mark it with a felt pen if you wish.
      A cam can be used in any engine. It's just a single part. No special care needed.
      The cams lifters...YES...IF the cam and lifters are in very good shape, yes, they NEED to be kept in order, of the lifter holes that they came out of.
      There is nothing else that needs any special care, other than keeping the pieces from rusting.

Mike

Comment

I'm a bit of a packrat, so I keep anything that I think I can use later. Space does get to be an issue though. I still think that the one cracked block could be repaired, so I would save the parts for it, loosely assembled in the block, and seal it all up until you have a chance to deal with it.

Comment

Crankshafts, camshafts, and rods are good for cores. The rest is scrap metal. There’s no reason to keep used pistons, lifters, or valves.

Comment

There ARE some small Parts you can save that do not take tons of space.
            The Oil Pan to Timing Cover Filler Block is the first one that comes to mind as not always being good, so may be needed on another Engine.

Also:
            Oil Pan
            Timing Cover
            Oil Pressure Valve Piston, Spring, Copper Washer and Nut
            Cam Spacer Plate, Ring and Special Screws, never scrap a bad Cam with those ON!
            A PCV Valve and Adapter to the Lifter Cover
            Dowel Pins from the top of the Block to Cyl. Head
            The Special Stud/Bolts that hold the Valve Covers, handy to convert a 2 Nut Head or Valve Cover to 4.

About the Only things that do not interchange from one block to another are the Main Caps, without a Lot of Very expensive align re-boring that most Machine Shops do not do. Just let them go with the block to Korea or China.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
              Flash wrote - and not necessarily in the same hole.
              Well, not so fast there Flash.

A crankshaft can be used in any engine block. It's just one part. Should be stored standing up if not in a block.
              A rod/piston can..."possibly" be used in another block, as long as the bore is the same. No need to keep in in any order. Mark it with a felt pen if you wish.
              A cam can be used in any engine. It's just a single part. No special care needed.
              The cams lifters...YES...IF the cam and lifters are in very good shape, yes, they NEED to be kept in order, of the lifter holes that they came out of.
              There is nothing else that needs any special care, other than keeping the pieces from rusting.

Mike
              If the cam and lifters are reground then they can go in any hole.

Comment

Even if some of these parts should not be reused as is, they are surely good cores to be resurfaced or reground for future use.
                So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

If they don't pass tech muster, they can make for a cool trophy.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	191214 - NPD Show - Peoples Choice Award - 1 of 3.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1869349
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I would probably think about labelling these things so the you know what engine they came from. I believe there were changes over the years that could affect what parts can interchange from older to newer and vice versa. (long and short snout cranks comes to mind as well)

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                      I'm a bit of a packrat, so I keep anything that I think I can use later. Space does get to be an issue though. I still think that the one cracked block could be repaired, so I would save the parts for it, loosely assembled in the block, and seal it all up until you have a chance to deal with it.
                      That is probably what I will do with that block. Thanks.
                      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        There ARE some small Parts you can save that do not take tons of space.
                        The Oil Pan to Timing Cover Filler Block is the first one that comes to mind as not always being good, so may be needed on another Engine.

Also:
                        Oil Pan
                        Timing Cover
                        Oil Pressure Valve Piston, Spring, Copper Washer and Nut
                        Cam Spacer Plate, Ring and Special Screws, never scrap a bad Cam with those ON!
                        A PCV Valve and Adapter to the Lifter Cover
                        Dowel Pins from the top of the Block to Cyl. Head
                        The Special Stud/Bolts that hold the Valve Covers, handy to convert a 2 Nut Head or Valve Cover to 4.

About the Only things that do not interchange from one block to another are the Main Caps, without a Lot of Very expensive align re-boring that most Machine Shops do not do. Just let them go with the block to Korea or China.
                        Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.
                        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Don't throw Studebaker parts away!!!! You may not have noticed, but they don't make them anymore! Years ago I bought a 58 Packard for parts. Seeing that the glass was good, the chrome was OK and the upholstery was mendable, and my wife really liked it, I went to work on it. The engine was seized and it needed 3 pistons which came from a box of parts I'd saved over the years. Sizing them to the bore is simple. Everything came from parts that I'd saved and left over partial gasket sets. New carpet, battery, tires, and headliner used up most of the $1000 I spent to get it back on the road. Decades later it is a reliable, comfortable, ugly old car that draws comments at car shows such as "Is that a DeSoto?" Piston can be reused, lifters can be resurfaced, camshafts can be reground, rods, rocker arms, heads can almost always be reused. Many a 'cracked block ' can be easily repaired. So, don't thrown parts away!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                            Don't throw Studebaker parts away!!!! You may not have noticed, but they don't make them anymore! Years ago I bought a 58 Packard for parts. Seeing that the glass was good, the chrome was OK and the upholstery was mendable, and my wife really liked it, I went to work on it. The engine was seized and it needed 3 pistons which came from a box of parts I'd saved over the years. Sizing them to the bore is simple. Everything came from parts that I'd saved and left over partial gasket sets. New carpet, battery, tires, and headliner used up most of the $1000 I spent to get it back on the road. Decades later it is a reliable, comfortable, ugly old car that draws comments at car shows such as "Is that a DeSoto?" Piston can be reused, lifters can be resurfaced, camshafts can be reground, rods, rocker arms, heads can almost always be reused. Many a 'cracked block ' can be easily repaired. So, don't thrown parts away!!!
                            I wasn't planning on throwing anything away. Just curious as to what could be used in different blocks if it comes to that. Thanks for the information.

Mike
                            Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Working...
                            X