head numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head numbers

I know this has been discussed before and I have the Studebaker Turbocharger books, but it doesn't show all of the head numbers. Most of the heads I got have the casting number on them instead of a part number. I do have one set of heads and the number is 1557570. I've looked at both car and truck manuals and they don't show that number. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Jake, you need the casting number charts. On the SDC main web site go to Stude' Reference Guide, then select "How to identify Cylinder head compression ratios." Also you could go to Bob Johnstone's Stude' info pages and select "Head Castings."

Interestingly, there seems to be some confusion between the two sources.

SDC chart says: Casting 1557570 is part#1557571 and is 9.5 10.25 compression ratio, depending on thick or thin head gasket used.

Bob Johnstons chart says:Casting 1557570 is part#1557571 and is 8.25 compresion ratio.

So who is right, do you have the rare high compression heads or do you have standard 8's.

Someone else needs to chime to correct the discrepancy. That or you need to cc your combustion chambers and calculate the compression.

E. West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    Best Regards,
    Eric West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

Well, it's pretty obvious that this chart is no good, no Stude. changes by 3/4 point with a gasket change. It appears they are talking about the '63-'64 Lark/Hawk heads on an R1, which is the stock head. If so, the thick one would yield 9.75 to one, 10.25 thin. Or 8.5 (Thin) 8.0 (Thick) on a std. 289 with stock deep dish pistons.

quote:[i]SDC chart says: Casting 1557570 is part#1557571 and is 9.5 10.25 compression ratio, depending on thick or thin head gasket used.
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes these are the 8:1 heads because they came off of a 62 Lark. And I know the heads have never been off so they are stock. Too bad, I was hoping for a 9 or 9.5:1 CR. Thanks for the info guys.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Comment

Working...
        X