Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found a cheap wheel that will fit a 50 4-lug! (well sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: I found a cheap wheel that will fit a 50 4-lug! (well sort of)

I've been doing a lot of searching to find a wheel to fit my 50 Champion, and there seems to be much confusion about what will work. It has 4 in spacing, which kind of hard to find unless you're looking at trailer wheels I happened to have 90 14 in Honda Civic wheel that I had lying around, and it works! Mind ypu it's not perfect, the Civic wheel has a 100 mm spacing which converts to 3.937 inches but it should work for a spare or to roll the car and no way for regular driving!!!! These wheels can be found on Civics (later models came with 4.5 in), VWs , and Miatas. Just a though use them at your own risk!!!!
    ​​​

There were also 4 lug wheels on some of the smaller engine Ford Fairmont cars from the late 70's. Probably not a lot of them in the bone yards, though.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      There were also 4 lug wheels on some of the smaller engine Ford Fairmont cars from the late 70's. Probably not a lot of them in the bone yards, though.
      Those wheels are 108m (4 1/4") bolt circle Roy. Same as the Pinto and Mustang II. The earlier Mustang, Falcon and Maverick had a 4 1/2" bolt circle, same as Datsun. I believe you 're looking for a 4x4" pattern? It was common to CROSLEY, AUSTIN HEALEY, JENSEN-HEALY and MG. Kawasaki and Polaris also use it on their off road vehicles.

Comment

That's interesting. Maybe I was thinking about Nash Rambler replacement wheels, that are the same as some early Jeeps.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-02-2020, 05:52 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Don't front wheel drive vehicles have a different offset? A quick check list Jensen Healy and Sprite, but maybe not 14"

https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/whee...4x4.00-inches/
          Last edited by Topper2011; 12-02-2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
            Don't front wheel drive vehicles have a different offset? A quick check list Jensen Healy and Sprite, but maybe not 14"

Yes, FWD cars have a positive offset (centerline of rim is inboard of the mounting plane at the hub).

Best example are those goofy Toronado rims....

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

Yes, FWD cars have a positive offset (centerline of rim is inboard of the mounting plane at the hub).

Best example are those goofy Toronado rims....

Every time I see either the Toronado rims or VW Bug rims, I think of my days in a gas station using a Coats 10-10 machine with the special adaptors for them. Flip it one way, it's for VW, the other way, Toronado. The Coats 10-10 was not kind to Cragar mags though. DAMHIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

Yes, but they very, the Honda wheels is not too much, so it works fine.

Comment

Topper, the first Cragar mags I ever had were some I got from a gas station that had a big chip out of the center where they had broke them on their tire changing machine. They were really cheap & I figured I could over look the chunk missing from the center until I could afford better wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                    Topper, the first Cragar mags I ever had were some I got from a gas station that had a big chip out of the center where they had broke them on their tire changing machine. They were really cheap & I figured I could over look the chunk missing from the center until I could afford better wheels.
                    Mike, that's exactly what happened.

Comment

Working...
                    X