No announcement yet.

Engine paint, correct green color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine paint, correct green color?

I'm transplanting a newly rebuilt 259 into my '52 Commander. I'm painting it green to make it look as much as possible like the original 232. I bought a quart of paint from SI and have used it to brush paint the block and manifolds. I also bought a can of spray paint from a different vendor to do some of the smaller parts, like the intake clamps. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they don't match, but they're not even close to my color-blind eyes. I've collected pictures from the web, and seems like both (or variations of them) are out there. Which is correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201124_085918.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1866903
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Your manifold looks right. How much of the gallon did you use on the entire engine?

Comment

Wow! Not even close is an understatement. But if I saw each color separately I'd think each was correct. Many, many years ago when restorations were less correct we used Bell Telephone green which is what the clamps appear to be.

Comment

The darker, more Olive Green is correct, but there is a Lot of Shine/Gloss on the smoother Metal of the Clamps distorting the Color a little.
        I wonder how close the Cast Iron Water Manifold would be to the Intake color if it had the light color on it.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The intake looks close, but a little light. Shouldn't those clamps be black? The correct green is the same as 30 weight oil used to be.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
            Your manifold looks right. How much of the gallon did you use on the entire engine?
            Hi Paul. I believe you're correct about the color, but wanted to see what the consensus was of the knowledgeable folks here. It was a quart, and I've used about 2/3 of it painting the block, bellhousing and water and intake manifolds, giving everything 2 coats.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            The darker, more Olive Green is correct, but there is a Lot of Shine/Gloss on the smoother Metal of the Clamps distorting the Color a little.
            I wonder how close the Cast Iron Water Manifold would be to the Intake color if it had the light color on it.
            Rich, thanks, the majority of the pictures I've seen would backup your opinion on the color. I hear what you're saying about the texture, but it's not even close. Here are a couple random pics that I've collected showing different paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	underhood 51 52, 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1866933Click image for larger version

Name:	232.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1866934
            3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

The darker color is closer to the correct color.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                The intake looks close, but a little light. Shouldn't those clamps be black?
                I believe you are correct.Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240008.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1866955

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  The intake looks close, but a little light. Shouldn't those clamps be black? The correct green is the same as 30 weight oil used to be.
                  It's quite dark, I think the light reflecting makes it looks lighter. My understanding is that the engines were painted complete after assembly, so the clamps would be the same green as everything else. Is this not correct?
                  3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Yes, the clamps should be black.
                    Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Small addition: pretty sure the heater hoses should also be black when you get to that.
                      Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X