Sebring seats in a Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Sebring seats in a Hawk

I'm investigating installing Chrysler Sebring convertible front seats in my 62 GT Hawk to get a modern seat belt with shoulder harness (mama's request). Does anyone have information or photos on what modifications need to be made to the floor and to the Sebring seat mounting brackets to mount these seats?

The one thing you need to remember is the only attachment points that hold you, the seat and the belts are the floor mounts so make them wide and strong. Most seat belts have attachment points other than the seat mounts but these seats don't so unless you want to exit with the seat do more then put large washers under the bolts.

I've installed a number of modern seats in my old cars and usually try to use mounts to the heavier underbody parts that I can find.

Bob

Comment

Double post, ^%$%%$$%!!!??

Comment

I plan to do the same thing on my '60 Hawk. I have the seats and have had them re- upholstered but it will be a little while before I get them in the car. Let me know how much "spacer" is needed under the front and back feet and what is the best material to use. I am thinking of blocks of wood.
        Thanks, Yogi, slightly smarter than the average bear.
        '60 Hawk

Comment

I would double up the thickness of the floor if the seat has built in seat belts. Same goes for just seat belts bolted to the floor. That or put a parachute on the seat back so you can use it as an injector seat.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            I would double up the thickness of the floor if the seat has built in seat belts. Same goes for just seat belts bolted to the floor. That or put a parachute on the seat back so you can use it as an injector seat.
            Good. I needed a laugh before going to the doctor this afternoon. What will you be injected with? I suppose that you simply meant ejector.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Since I don't have a clue how the Sebring seats mount this may not be helpful. I used the front and rear seats out of a 2014 Mercury Milan, I fabricated a frame using one inch square tube that mounted to the org seat mounting holes and then mounted the seats to the frame. I did two frames, I guess the first one was a test seat frame I didn't use the Milan seat belts, instead using after market belts. I looked for pictures of the seat frame and it appears that I deleted them. I will say that the tube frame is mounted closely to the floor in order to get the seating height correct/usable.

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
                Since I don't have a clue how the Sebring seats mount this may not be helpful. I used the front and rear seats out of a 2014 Mercury Milan, I fabricated a frame using one inch square tube that mounted to the org seat mounting holes and then mounted the seats to the frame. I did two frames, I guess the first one was a test seat frame I didn't use the Milan seat belts, instead using after market belts. I looked for pictures of the seat frame and it appears that I deleted them. I will say that the tube frame is mounted closely to the floor in order to get the seating height correct/usable.
                My understanding of your post leads me to believe that you did not strengthen the seat to floor mounting. This would be particularly important with seat mounted three point belts.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude rocker trimmed with stainless.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1867185
                  Originally posted by studegary View Post

My understanding of your post leads me to believe that you did not strengthen the seat to floor mounting. This would be particularly important with seat mounted three point belts.
                  No I didn't add additional strengthening to the floor (other than replacing all of the rusty floor with new repro tin. I fastened my seat belts separately from the seat even though the org seat belts did attach to the seat. In the picture you can get a glimpse of the square tube seat mounting frame. There is a BIG washer under the floor. I've installed shoulder belts and the upper attachment is in the B Pillar.
                  Last edited by 1953champcoupe; 11-25-2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X