Need help identifying transmission model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Need help identifying transmission model

I have a 64 GT with a Powershift transmission. I pulled the tranny out to have some leaks sealed. The serial number tag on the side is green. In the shop manual, they don't list a Flightomatic with a green tag, or any Powershift model. The closest thing I could find is a black tag model used on JT engines. Does anyone know what I have and a model number to match? It's possible this may not be the original tranny too. I also checked the torque convertor and it is gold and stamped FT, obviously that is not a Powershift convertor as they were stamped HR. Would I be better served if I could find the correct torque convertor? The one I have is working fine so I don't know what's best to use.
    Last edited by jostanton1; 11-23-2020, 08:07 AM.

I can't ID the trans either. I had the same issue as I was parting a '64 GT w/PShift and the tag color got removed upon cleaning. The torque converter was an FT as well but based upon how the car was used prior to disassembly the converter may have been rebuilt to HR specs. If it's strong as is let it go. BTW -where is your PS cable routed from the dash harness to the trans tunnel?
    Rob in PA.

Comment

I'm sure sure what you mean regarding the PS cable. BTW, Stephen Allen's confirmed for me that a green tag is a Powershift.

Comment

It is quite easy to tell a Powershift from a Flight-O-Matic, in addition to the Cooler Lines on the right (that would also be on a H.D. FOM), you can count the Shift Detent lock Points, 6 vs 5.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          It is quite easy to tell a Powershift from a Flight-O-Matic, in addition to the Cooler Lines on the right (that would also be on a H.D. FOM), you can count the Shift Detent lock Points, 6 vs 5.
          Well duh(on my part!) I never thought of that! thanks!!

Comment

My transmission guy determined my leak out of the selector shaft is because the shaft is worn. Hence, new seal and o ring didn't help. I need a new shaft. Does anyone know if that can be procured? So far, I've struck out in finding one.

Comment

Working...
            X