GT Powershift Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: GT Powershift Wiring

Does anyone know the routing for the Powershift wiring on a GT? I know it has to go behind the dash liner at some point from the dash wiring harness and follow the trans tunnel to where the ground wire is screwed. The harness goes through the tunnel then with a grommet. The cars I've parted had nothing left of the dash liner and some had wires cut. I really need to know the pathway from the dash harness through the dash liner and isolated away from the gas and brake pedals.
    Thanks!
    Rob in PA.

It would help if we knew what a "Dash Liner" is?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I am puzzled. Is there any wiring for a power shift besides the indicator light that comes on with the dash lights?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

For the Light, there should be only a Power wire that on Avantis is connected to Ignition Switch ACC. Terminal, (probably also on Hawks) and a Ground going down the Firewall to the Floor, and down the tunnel to the Shifter, as long as it it does not touch other components and wear through the Insulation, anywhere it goes is good, it's hidden.

However there is also the Backup Light Switch and Neutral Switch Wires in the "Harness".
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-23-2020, 03:08 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The dash liner is the cardboard and insulation that attaches to the firewall-usually with 6 clips or more. The steering post collar is part of that. The wiring "harness " for the Powershift includes the wiring for the light and ground as well as the neutral safety and backup light switches. The harness wires attach to the dash harness for the switch if if the car had a column shift. I know what wires connect to the harness. To reiterate-my question is what pathway does the harness take through(behind) the firewall and cardboard insulation???How far from the steering post, etc.? I assume to the right side of the post and the gas pedal. I have a '64 HT with 4 speed with backup light harness that goes near the steering post and can be seen from the engine compartment where the column passes through the firewall. This may be the pathway that was used for most if not all floorshift cars. Just want it to be correct since I'm spending lots of time to bring this one back. Thanks!
          Rob in PA.

Comment

UPDATE: I ran a fishline up the firewall with the harness taped to it. I pulled it from the right of the gas pedal straight up next to the brake handle. All is well thanks.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
            X