X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Tag details: question

Perhaps an expert here could help with decoding a body tag:
    12G - W1

As an hour's searching seems to have revealed that 12G would be a 1952 Champion. W means, I think, a sedan, which I take to mean a 4-door. I've had no luck identifying the 1. From other tag discussions, 3962 should be the sequential-build body number, although I don't know how many were built in '52, supposing that is right to begin with.

Thanks for any guidance.

Joe

As you say, 12G = 1952 Champion and W = 4-door sedan. W1 would indicate the lowest trim level 4-door sedan. 3962 indicates the 3,962nd 12G-W1 body shell built (not necessarily the 3,962nd placed on a chassis).
    Bill Jarvis

Comment

As shown in the 1951 Thru 1954 Chassis Parts Catalog (which you should have!) W1 is a Champion Custom 4-Door. 1 refers to Custom W3 would be a Deluxe.

Comment

Then yours should look like this one for trim level:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
          As shown in the 1951 Thru 1954 Chassis Parts Catalog (which you should have!) W1 is a Champion Custom 4-Door. 1 refers to Custom W3 would be a Deluxe.
          And W5 would be a Regal 4 door sedan.
          There were a total of 103,660 four door sedans of all models and trim levels in 1952. This was more than half of all 1952 cars (five bodies).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Then yours should look like this one for trim level:
            But there's that danged black fender welt again.
            And it's fine if that is what the owner prefers; but not as a guide to authenticity.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              But there's that danged black fender welt again.
              And it's fine if that is what the owner prefers; but not as a guide to authenticity.
              Thank you! I contained myself, because it was only meant as an example of the year/trim level.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the ID, Greenstude, and for the image, 8E45E. That helps a lot on both counts.

I won't be getting a '51-'54 parts book, though. This was to identify a car I found, not the one I own, which is a '63 Cruiser/Lark--a dubious money pit, if ever I've owned one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeus View Post
                  a '63 Cruiser/Lark--a dubious money pit, if ever I've owned one.
                  Hey! I resemble that remark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X