Choke Adjusting Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Choke Adjusting Advice Needed

64 GT Hawk R2: It takes about 10-20 pumps/attempts to start the engine after sitting a couple of days. When it does start she turns 1900 RPMs......after about10-20 seconds and a tap on the gas she drops to 1400 RPMs.......it then takes about 2 minutes and another tap on the gas and she drops to 900-1000. Some ideas out there.....? (Mechanical fuel pump/60 degrees/carb was rebuilt by Dave Thibeault)
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I too have a 64 Hawk, though its a R1. For me after a day or so, I need to pump to get fuel into the carb. Its the damm ethenol. I rely on Dave also, give him a call, his information is valuable. By any chance, are any of the springs from the throttle arm misaligned?

Comment

My engine is a 63 259 with a Carter four barrel and that is exactly how it responds, I think it is normal. Mine has a heat actuated choke spring and the pipe from the furnace is exhaust hot in minutes and after about three or four two minute intervals the engine is idling normal. The complete process takes about five minutes to complete. However, if you prefer a slower idling engine during warm up there is an idle speed adjustment on a small cam that controls the different speeds during warm up. There are a number of minor adjustments that can be performed. There are basically two heat generator types, electric and exhaust heat. The choke spring can be adjusted for rich or lean and the cam idle screw can be adjusted to vary the speed. In colder damp climates a little richer and a higher speed idle may be required where as in a drier warmer climate, leaner and less speed may be acceptable.

Comment

What Mechanical Fuel Pump?
        Today There are 3 possibilities:

1. A relatively New Airtex Pump (Old AC Design Clone) sold under many names like "Carter", Master, Airtex, Federal Mogul etc. etc.
        2. A Old Original Carter OEM Type Pump, recently rebuilt.
        3. A New Carter Super Pump as used on Jet Thrust and Avanti Engines that works well with all 4 Brl. Carbs.

The Valving in the Pumps are there to prevent Back Flow from the Carb. Line to the Pump and Fuel Pump to Tank, IF they WORK properly.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Make sure that the choke plate is completely closed when cold. I had the same problem and solved it by installing a electric fuel pump as close to the tank as possible. Turn on the ignition switch and wait for 30 seconds. Pump the pedal 2 times . Between the new mechanical pump AND electric pump will solve your problem

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            What Mechanical Fuel Pump?
            Today There are 3 possibilities:

1. A relatively New Airtex Pump (Old AC Design Clone) sold under many names like "Carter", Master, Airtex, Federal Mogul etc. etc.
            2. A Old Original Carter OEM Type Pump, recently rebuilt.
            3. A New Carter Super Pump as used on Jet Thrust and Avanti Engines that works well with all 4 Brl. Carbs.

The Valving in the Pumps are there to prevent Back Flow from the Carb. Line to the Pump and Fuel Pump to Tank, IF they WORK properly.
            The pump was supplied by Myer's Studebaker: "#1557015-R2 Fuel Pump". Are there other now available?
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

Also check that your accelerator pump is pumping fuel from the top of the stroke and not 1/3 down the stroke. I had installed a new accelerator pump that was inferior in design and was only pumping fuel at near the bottom of the stroke. I replaced the accelerator pump with the original factory leather type and now it pumps fuel from the top of the stroke. This issue had nothing to do with the fuel pump or ethanol, the bowel was full to capacity just the pump was not functioning properly even though it was new.

Comment

Working...
              X