Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to approach this oil-pressure tubing to fitting leak? Nut bottomed out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: how to approach this oil-pressure tubing to fitting leak? Nut bottomed out?

Hi, another question the '57 Golden Hawk project. Spinning over the starter some, not only found my original oil pressure gauge was bad (thanks Brent Hagan for supplying a new one! 40psi now! :-) ) but got some oil dripping at the fitting. Tried to tighten it up some but "tight". Figured I had forgotten thread sealant here, made sure it was JUST the steel pipe leaking (not the engine or rubber-hose threads) and put some Permatex on it. Retightening, obvious that the steel-fitting nut is bottoming out, and 'wants' to be tightened a bit more. Almost has to be just not-quite-tight enough seal, and the oil IS coming out along the tubing, NOT from the fitting threads. Both fitting and nut/pipe are original, just cleaned up. Make a habit of NOT over-doing cleanup of threads with the wire-brush, but just the tad it got must have been too much, as it certainly was sealed when I took it apart.
    Now what? All I can think of is removing the brass fitting, and grinding off a 1/16" (ie: very little) of that small boss and filing flat again, to give another thread of depth to tighten that flare-seal. Other tricks before I molest it? Thanks! Barry
    Click image for larger version  Name:	oil fitting leak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	1866452

It looks to me that you don't have an original connection.
    The rubber hose screws onto the block and goes to a 1/16' line that goes to the oil pressure gauge. There is no "T" by the block.

Comment

That House Plumbing "T" Fitting is not Automotive so has no "Seat" in it for the flared Tubing and Compression Fitting to seat on.

I guess you connected the Oil Filter there as well as the Oil Pressure Gauge as a Supercharged Engine would be, so a "T" has to stay but must be the Wrong Type.

It is also possible that the Flare on the end of the Steel Line is damaged or poorly made.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich; that would sure explain the leak, and I honestly never CHECKED for a seat, just cleaned it all up. But how in the world WAS it sealed before??? (Though I've never heard this engine run, DOA 10 yrs ago... BUT no puddle of oil was there taking everything apart). Who knows.....?

I've simply stopped asking "WHY???" things "aren't right" on this visually-all-original engine (but upon disassembly SO abused after last rebuild, you should see the GROOVES in main-bearings that likely had a few thousand miles on rebuild by previous owner, per shiny new 'frost plugs''. Had a Ford-o-matic installed, and instead of simply removing two screws and taking off the (incorrect with Ford shift pattern) "PNDLR" indicator, broke it off with a hammer. REALLY? Etc etc. Teenage kid project car w/ daddy's money? Sigh)

I'll take it apart and double-check, hoping you are right (no flare seat in that 'T'!). Then, just have to find a correct one, but guessing that shouldn't be too hard (hopefully!? :-) . Thanks again.

Comment

I agree with Rich. Does the tubing have a brake style flare on the end or a separate fitting that compresses into a seat. IAC you will need either a flare fitting adapter or a "swagelock" type adapter fitting that goes from the tubing end to NPF pipe fitting, I would guess.

Bob

Comment

DONE! Now, continued over here:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....w-supercharger
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X