No announcement yet.

60 lark 2 Dr HT, 289 rear leaf cost and installation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 60 lark 2 Dr HT, 289 rear leaf cost and installation question

I'd like to raise it to match the new springs the po put in the front, it is worn and has help coils in it right now,( so not the best at the moment, and this no rust anywhere , little gem of a stude deserves better) anyone know what the stock stance/rake is on the lark ? is it forward or backwards leaning?

how do you change the bushings on the shackles? is it an act of congress? and do they make poly bushings? or is that going too far?

SI's catalog has new production rear springs for your Lark ($595 per pair).
    The stance should be level.
    Your Lark was not built with a 289. Has it been converted or is it really a 259?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      SI's catalog has new production rear springs for your Lark ($595 per pair).
      The stance should be level.
      Your Lark was not built with a 289. Has it been converted or is it really a 259?
      what does level look like? Click image for larger version  Name:	289 lark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.7 KB ID:	1866148

for that amount i saw on ebay and 4 link coil over conversion for less, but there will be welding

converted rebuilt 1000 miles just broken in, full flow 289 r1 cam , 30 over rings, 20 under crank, thin head gasket, petronix, edlebrock 4 bbl, mr gasket e-fuel pump, and black rattle can...purrs like a kitten and fast, that is why the suspension has to be top notch to keep up with the power

Comment

Lark VIII's are usually Level or no more than 1/2 to 1 inch higher in back when the Springs were New and with Bushing wear and sagging get lower from there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60 HT Red O.D.6.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	1866153Click image for larger version  Name:	60 Hardtop Green1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	1866154Click image for larger version  Name:	Black_Red Hardtop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.7 KB ID:	1866155
        You should definitely be able to see the Top of the Rear Wheel. I believe THIS is You, looks fine!
        Your Rear height already looks higher than the other 2 broadside Photos I have.
        They may just need Overloads, an extra Second Leaf, More Clamping, H.D. Shocks and Definitely Traction Bars.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-19-2020, 10:22 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

might be an older picture with the the overloads, he took off citing harsh ride....has new blue monroe shocks 4 corners, as mentioned, the gentleman that owned the car got ill and the wife pleaded with the president of that stude chapter to help her thin the herd, he could not leave it alone and did "everything" during the covid months and flipped it to lucky me, the po's po had helper coil springs in the trunk and Fran put those it, I feel they are not enough, he did give me the overloads as a trade for the 3.73 flanged dana 44 i left him, after he put in thie 3.07 TTd44, so i will give those a try to lift the rear, Rich you idea of an extra leaf is the cleanest option, compared to the old fords i've have ad nauseum, they do look thin and few...where to get an "extra" leaf

Comment

This 109 Wheelbase '63 Lark (Ted Harbit's Muscle Car Drags Annual Winner) has Factory Type Traction Bars and they are barely noticeable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63Custom2drTomato.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1866158Click image for larger version

Name:	63LarkCustom2drTomato2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1866159

StudeRich

Comment

i am cautious with this ol'girl, my first stude, idk if it's fragile, i don't what stuff grenading on me, i beat on everything i got when i am sure it can take it, right now no bull in china shop

Comment

The engine may be a 289 cid V8, but it does not appear to be one that started as a "full flow" engine. What is the engine number stamped into the front of the block (what it started as)?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The engine may be a 289 cid V8, but it does not appear to be one that started as a "full flow" engine. What is the engine number stamped into the front of the block (what it started as)?
                  i thought no oil filter on top means full flow, lat model engine, i just got done tinkering with the car for a few hour, i'll look next time, i was told by Fran president of the rock valley chapter of WI, who sold me the car...

Comment

Did you EVER look at the Right Rear Lower Part of the Block for the "Full Flow Filter" and Adapter or it's Mounting Pad that MAY have a Block-Off Plate over it?

Name:	61 Hawk Engine4.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1866219

StudeRich

Comment

did bother to look yet , i was lubing all the hinges and window crack knobs with motor oil and looking at the car's rustless existence

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post

i thought no oil filter on top means full flow, lat model engine, i just got done tinkering with the car for a few hour, i'll look next time, i was told by Fran president of the rock valley chapter of WI, who sold me the car...
                        No oil filter on top MAY mean a full flow engine, but it more likely means a non-full flow engine without an optional oil filter. The stamped engine number will "say" what the block started as.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

No oil filter on top MAY mean a full flow engine, but it more likely means a non-full flow engine without an optional oil filter. The stamped engine number will "say" what the block started as.
                          had a convo with Fran, and said the oil filter was blocked off from the PO, so he rebuilt the engine this summer, and he put one in and it holds 6 qts and he adds ZDT? for solid lifters in the oil

show me a picture of where to look at the block number and what it should say

how can you convert a no flow to a full flow, is that even possible?

what is stude thinking when they made their flagship and final engine without an oil filter? is this a mystery of epic proportions or is there a legitimate reason?

Comment

It is ZDDP and you can buy additives like ZDDPlus, Red Line etc. or just buy Valvoline ZR-1 Racing Oil.

Also it is not about Solid lifters, it is about Flat Tappet Engine Lifters Solid and Hydraulic and Cam wear.

Roller Cams and Overhead Cam engines like New ones, do not have that problem, so ALL Older Engines should run that.
                            The Standard "off the Shelf" Oils do not have ZDDP because it will damage the Catalytic Converters on Newer Cars.

Read Post #10 again, it sounds like you MAY have the Filter Shown in Post 10 or the Mount is there missing the Adapter and blocked off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	53-64engineID.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.1 KB ID:	1866274
                            Here is the Picture of the Location shown in the V8 Engine I.D. Page here on the Website.

The Partial Flow "drop in Element Canister" Type Oil Filters WERE Optional on most 1946 to 1954 Engines and on Studebakers from 1946 to 1957.

When the Spin-On Type partial Flow Filters replaced those in '58 to Early 1962, and Full Flow Filters replaced them in Late 1962 to 1966 I do not recall seeing any Factory Equipped without Filters, and I have seen and owned Hundreds.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-21-2020, 12:13 AM.
                            StudeRich

Comment

Name:	20201122_100342.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1866482Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_103724.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.4 KB