'64 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: '64 GT

I would like to know how much fluid the torque converter takes with respect to the total number of pints the shop manual states for the Flight-o-matic. I can find no specific capacity for just the torque converter. I'm assuming as I crank over the engine that the torque converter will pick up fluid. The car is back together and didn't want to start the engine without sufficient fluid in the torque converter. I can't recall how much was installed in the torque converter before re-assembly as that was done several years ago. The GT has a Powershift trans. I wanted to check fluids before cranking as I'm looking to find #1 position for timing, etc and will be getting oil pressure up before trying to fire the engine. Thanks for help.
    Rob in PA.

I think the converter would hold close to a gallon of fluid. I would suggest you fill the transmission, static, to the full mark on the dipstick, and crank the engine over as required for timing, etc. Once done that, check the transmission dipstick again. The level should have dropped as the converter filled. Bring it up to the full mark again, static. Once the engine is started, and is idling well (not too fast), have a helper stand on the brake, and put the transmission in "drive". Check transmission again, and add fluid as required to get it to the full mark while idling in "drive".
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks gordr. I thought maybe a couple of quarts (US)but didn't realize it took that much. Of course when you pull the car apart a lot still continues to pour out even after draining! Thanks for the start up tips. I need to connect all under hood wiring and bleed brakes before I go back to the trans. Hopefully I'll have fire in the pipes in a week or two.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
      X