Dual Circuit Hydrovacs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Dual Circuit Hydrovacs

I know that MP Brakes in NC has advertised these dual circuit hydrovacs, but the price is almost $800. This place in the UK has them for far less and also a compact unit that looks like it would fit most of the Studes that have hydrovac and provide a dual MC solution at a reasonable price!

https://www.carbuilder.com/us/medium...um-brake-servo

https://www.carbuilder.com/us/compac...te-brake-servo

youtube video: https://youtu.be/fW0VXo7iqEs
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Very interesting . Wonder if its made in China.

Comment

No they are made by Iruna in Spain. Reviews look very good. I found another place that is less expensive. I am planning to buy one for my C cab and would like to find anyone else that would be interested to get a break on shipping. Let me know if you are interested.

https://creative-engineering.com/pro...ect-servo-kit/

That is $382.16 plus shipping.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

What would it take to retrofit one of these beauties to a non-Hydro-Vac car or truck? I just installed Turner discs on my 8E7 and love them, but some power assist would be really nice!
        Mike Davis
        Regional Manager, North Carolina
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Not too hard at all. C cabs had Hydrovac was an option from '55 on. They mount on the drver's outside frame rail behind the cab. Not sure all of them were there but most I have seen that is where they are.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Since Studebaker used a Dual Diaphragm SINGLE Hydrovac on Disc Brake Setups, I don't see how Two separate Single ones would produce the correct amount of boost especially for the Front.

A DUAL Circuit is not the same as a Dual Diaphragm.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-21-2020, 05:02 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich I am not sure of the point you are making? These units have two diaphragms, one for each circuit. The original hydrovacs powered all 4 brakes with a single hydrovac so I don't see the issue. No doubt if you are running disk/drum setup you would need to use a proportioning valve on the rear brakes as you do with any resto brake setup. For drum drum or disk disk this would most likely not be necessary. The whole concept here is to answer the problem of using a dual MC with a single hydrovac.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.06.39 PM.png
Views:	116
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1866381
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dan White; 11-22-2020, 04:11 AM. Reason: Revised illustration
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Why not just add this to your existing Hydrovac. Same idea for a lot less money

Name:	09082019x36.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1867121

Attached Files
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                  Why not just add this to your existing Hydrovac. Same idea for a lot less money

Name:	09082019x36.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1867121
                  That won't work with a dual master cylinder, which is what I believe Dan based this thread on - how to use some sort of hydrovac with an underfloor dual master cylinder. Dan, please correct me if I have mis-stated.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I guess you would need to know the OUTPUT Pressure on EACH of the 2 Halves.
                    Two Units running separately, is NOT the same as Two Units running TOGETHER!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes that is correct. Using a splitter is not the same thing. There are two independent brake lines that are driven by each connection to a dual MC. The Studebaker setup used a single chamber MC and drove a single diaphram Hydrovac. Rich as noted before you would probably want to use a proportioning valve on the rear/drum brakes. This would be no different than what you use on a firewall setup if switching to disk drum from drum drum. If you have drum drum or disk disk you would not need to use a proportioning valve. I do not know why you would assume the pressure in each side is different. The vacuum and atmospheric pressure will be the same in both sides of the unit. as there is only one vacuum connection and only one regulator. These have been used in Europe from what I can find out for about 8 to 10 years and I cannot find any complaints or problems with them.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                      X