Gas tank volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Gas tank volume

What is the size, volume, of the gas tank of a '65 Cruiser?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

18 gallons is what the sales brochure says
    Rhys Arthur
    49 2R5
    66 Cruiser
    66 Commander
    84 Avanti

Comment

All 1953 to 1966 Studebaker Cars and Trucks with the under the Cab Tank are 18 Gal.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the help.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I'm not at all questioning the input of Rich that all Studebakers from 1953 and later had 18 gallon tanks. Do we attribute this literature to optimistic marketing prior to production?

This is the 1963 sales brochure:

Specifications in the 1963 brochure indicating the R1 and R2 Jet Thrust models had 21 gallon gasoline tanks.

Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

That must be a typo. The Avanti has a 21 gallon gas tank, so that may be where the "21" number came from. Why would Studebaker put a larger tank in a Lark or Hawk just because it had an optional R1 or R2 engine? That doesn't seem like an expense that Studebaker would incur without a good reason.

Also, I have a new reproduction gas tank for my 1964 R1 Hawk. Side by side it looks identical to the original tank. The repros were made to match the standard tanks (no return line). So, that should prove that R1 & R2 powered Hawks have the same 18-gal gas tank as standard Hawks.
            --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              All 1953 to 1966 Studebaker Cars and Trucks with the under the Cab Tank are 18 Gal.
              I do not believe that you can generalize so far as to say "All". For example. 1963 - 1964 Studebaker Avantis have a 21 gallon fuel tank.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, I probably missed another "NIT" or two, the One and Only 1959 Lark Rear Engined Prototype.

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                I'm not at all questioning the input of Rich that all Studebakers from 1953 and later had 18 gallon tanks. Do we attribute this literature to optimistic marketing prior to production?
                This is the 1963 sales brochure:
                Specifications in the 1963 brochure indicating the R1 and R2 Jet Thrust models had 21 gallon gasoline tanks.
                This one is easy to see what happened.
                The (Non-Automotive Minds) at the Advertising Agency simply copied the Avanti Specs to add to the Lark/Hawk Jet Thrust Info, and did not delete what relates only to the actual Avanti.

Another nit-picky thing about that Brochure is, that they stated that the Jet Thrust Larks and Hawks have a 40 Amp Charging System!

When actually the R1 & R2 Larks & R1 Hawks do have a 40 Amp. Prestolite, but they are NOT capable of 40 due to the Standard 35 Amp Voltage Regulator, so can't be rated or advertised as such.
                And the R2, Hawks do not even HAVE the 40 Amp. Alternator!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 11-19-2020, 02:35 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X