No announcement yet.

Need correct key blanks for 64 GT door/ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a certified locksmith in our chapter. I consulted him about the aluminum keys; He stated that they were a very bad idea. He said the problem usually was that people would get in a hurry, push in the key, and start to turn it before it was fully in the lock. The shoulder behind the individually cut part is what turns the cylinder. Because the key is not fully in the cylinder the key bends and can break.

Studerich, thanks for the info. The picture is quite a bit clearer now.

It could be that the 64 keys (mine & the OP's) grooved to fit a 63 lock were just a mistake from the key manufacturer. Or, manufactured intentionally to fit 63 locks.
    --Dwight

Comment

Yes, I contacted the vendor that sold me the lock set and they claimed they had no double groove 64 up blanks.

Comment

So do you just simply plan to Order some Spare '63 Key Blanks and be done with it? Easy, Peasy! The Locks will never know the difference!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I can do that, I am just trying to keep the car as authentic as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
            Yes, I contacted the vendor that sold me the lock set and they claimed they had no double groove 64 up blanks.
            It could be that they just didn't want to spend time looking through a large quantity of key blanks. Or, if all their key blanks were manufactured for them (at the same time) they would almost certainly be all the same.
            --Dwight
            Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-19-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

My Avanti R5407 came to me 25+ years ago with only one key, the ign/door. I had to have a glove box/console key made from the number on the prod. order. It worked perfectly. The original aluminum ign key for R5407 is shown below. Note that the key number is stamped on the key. That number also matches the prod. order. So, this fairly late 64 Avanti came from the factory with 63 locks.
              --Dwight
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Avanti R5407 keys 20201119 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	1866043

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                My 64 Daytona has keys with two grooves like that pictured in post #8 -- but I have no extra blanks. I vaguely recall having to replace the locks back in the 1980s after I had an ignition switch lock failure. I was able to buy a complete set of new matching locks and keys. IIRC, they were for a 65 or 66 Stude. Hope that helps.
                There may be a clue here. Skip purchased a lock set for a 1965-66 Lark-type and the keys have 2 grooves on each side (like a 63 key). If his keys look like 64 keys (lazy S) then those key blanks would be what the OP is seeking. So, maybe ask SI (or whoever) for key blanks for a 65-66 Stude. Perhaps Studebaker of Canada went back to 2-groove keys/locks like 63s.
                --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

There may be a clue here. Skip purchased a lock set for a 1965-66 Lark-type and the keys have 2 grooves on each side (like a 63 key). If his keys look like 64 keys (lazy S) then those key blanks would be what the OP is seeking. So, maybe ask SI (or whoever) for key blanks for a 65-66 Stude. Perhaps Studebaker of Canada went back to 2-groove keys/locks like 63s.
                  --Dwight
                  Yes. That's what I was hinting at -- shoulda made myself clearer. Trouble was/is, wasn't sure my memory was correct on what those locks and keys were originally designed to fit. They do look like the 64 keys, nickle-plated steel with the lazy S.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                  X