Need correct key blanks for 64 GT door/ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need correct key blanks for 64 GT door/ignition

0.jpg 0.jpgIMG-2895.jpg Several months ago, I ordered an ignition lock and door lock set from one of our big vendors. It was for my 64 GT. I am in need of an extra blank for the ignition lock. I order a set of blanks for said model from the same vendor. However, when I went to get them cut, the locksmith pointed out that the new blanks are different than my master. My key from the new lock set has two groves one side, and 2 on the other side. The new blank has one wide groove on one side. I contacted the vendor and they told me the key I need is for a 63 model year! Yes that would fit, however the key head is the old style. My set has the newer lazy S style head. Where can I get the correct blank? Part number?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jostanton1; 11-17-2020, 02:02 PM.

Your key on the right has grooves like my 64 Hawk & Avanti keys, so it looks correct for a 64 Studebaker. Studebaker changed lock brands in 64, so the keys don't interchange with earlier Studes. Your key on the left has a 64 head, but grooves like a 63 key (I have a 63 also.). It looks like someone made key blanks for 64-up Studes and made them incorrectly. Or, they intentionally made them to fit 63 locks, but to look like 64s. We have a bit of a mystery here.
    --Dwight

Comment

Yes I have an issue also as the trunk key on my '64 GT is a '63 key for some reason. I hope you don't have this issue. Hopefully the vendor can remedy your problem.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
        Yes I have an issue also as the trunk key on my '64 GT is a '63 key for some reason. I hope you don't have this issue. Hopefully the vendor can remedy your problem.
        Rob in PA.
        The Studebaker factory was probably grabbing whatever part would fit off the shelf toward the end. I have two 1964 Avantis: R5255 with correct 1964 keys, and R5407 with 1963 keys. The production order for R5407 lists the key numbers and they match the 1963-model keys.
        --Dwight

Comment

It is indeed a mystery. But what I don't understand is, why the vendor sold me a matching door/ign lock set with keys like mine. You would think there would be more blanks like this. I don't want to name and bad mouth the vendor, as we all depend on them for helping us all the time. But I am not happy with what I was sold for sure.

Comment

OK, Jim here are the correct 64 keys. The ignition/door key has a hex head. The glove box/trunk key has a round head and is noticeably shorter. I suspect the Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_071016.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1865815Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_071050.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1865816 differences were to enable the driver to locate the correct key by touch, in the dark. You can see where the channels should be. Dan

Comment

Thank- you everyone. I still would like to know where the company that made to lock set I purchased got a 63 stem with a 64 head key blank. That is what I have that fits my locks.

Comment

If anyone knows where I can get a blank like this, please let me know. Thank-you all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.6 KB ID:	1865862

Comment

Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
                  Thank- you everyone. I still would like to know where the company that made to lock set I purchased got a 63 stem with a 64 head key blank. That is what I have that fits my locks.
                  If you place a 64 key on top of a 63 key you will find that they are identical, disregarding the factory-machined grooves. So, now imagine a 64 key blank at the factory being machined with the 63 grooves. That is what it appears that you have. It would be a simple thing to do. It may have been done intentionally to make a 64 key fit a 63 Studebaker.

That same vendor may have these special key blanks made to look like a 64 key but operating a 63 lock. As you said a key for a 63 has 2 grooves on each side; a key for a 64 has 1 on each side.
                  --Dwight

Comment

I just looked again at my stock of 1963 & 64 Stude key blanks and found a 64 key blank like yours: i.e., 2 grooves on each side, like a 63 key, but with the lazy S on the head like a 64 key. It's the only one of my 8 or 9 1964-type blanks like that. All the other 64 blanks have one groove on each side, including my original aluminum blanks. Again a mystery: Why/how are there 1964 key blanks grooved like 63 keys? Maybe Studebaker had a bunch of 1963 locks left over at the start of the 1964 model year and used them up, but using 64-style blanks grooved like 63s.
                    --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                      I just looked again at my stock of 1963 & 64 Stude key blanks and found a 64 key blank like yours: i.e., 2 grooves on each side, like a 63 key, but with the lazy S on the head like a 64 key. It's the only one of my 8 or 9 1964-type blanks like that. All the other 64 blanks have one groove on each side, including my original aluminum blanks. Again a mystery: Why/how are there 1964 key blanks grooved like 63 keys? Maybe Studebaker had a bunch of 1963 locks left over at the start of the 1964 model year and used them up, but using 64-style blanks grooved like 63s.
                      --Dwight
                      That makes the most sense to me. Typical of Studebaker to get the most out of everything they had on hand. I sent you a PM to buy the key from you if you want to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                        Maybe Studebaker had a bunch of 1963 locks left over at the start of the 1964 model year and used them up, but using 64-style blanks grooved like 63s.
                        --Dwight
                        If that was the case, you would think they would have been aluminum keys like the rest of the '63 and '64 keys.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

My 64 Daytona has keys with two grooves like that pictured in post #8 -- but I have no extra blanks. I vaguely recall having to replace the locks back in the 1980s after I had an ignition switch lock failure. I was able to buy a complete set of new matching locks and keys. IIRC, they were for a 65 or 66 Stude. Hope that helps.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

If that was the case, you would think they would have been aluminum keys like the rest of the '63 and '64 keys.
                            I would assume that all the original keys from Studebaker would have been aluminum for the 1964 model year. Am I correct in thinking that Studebaker switched from aluminum to nickel-plated brass keys sometime in 1965 or 66? After that time they might have had some made for replacement stock for 1964-model cars. Or, my nickel-plated brass key may have been a reproduction made for Studebaker International or another vendor. In any event, it looks like a 1964 key, but won't fit a 64 Studebaker, only a 63 or earlier.

jostanton1, have you checked with the vendor that sold you the lock set? They would have to look specifically for 64-style keys with 2 grooves on each side. Once I knew what to look for I found mine easily in my box of key blanks. As for me, my Avanti R5407 has 63 locks (original, match production order) and I would like to have a set of 64-style keys for it.
                            --Dwight
                            Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-18-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Yes the '65 and '66 Original keys, even the Second Series 1964's, in other words all Canadian Locks, and the Keys were Nickle over Brass.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X