'61 Hawk Rear Seat Seat belt fixings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: '61 Hawk Rear Seat Seat belt fixings

Hello, I have a '61 Hawk, not sure if it has had rear seat belts ever fitted, has had front ones.
    Could someone tell me if the holes in the rear are already there or do I have to drill new ones, the existing holes don't seem to be in the correct position, & may be just drain holes,

regards, Cus Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1865402Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1865403
    sigpic

I don't think there would be any drain holes in the floor pan because water could come in when splashed up from underneath. If there are any factory seat belt holes they would be reinforced.
    --Dwight

Comment

There are drain holes in the floor which will have rubber grommets in them, but the only reinforced hole is the larger oval type hole, which I could bolt the outside strap to, but unsure about the inside straps?
      sigpic

Comment

my 61 did not have holes for rear seat belts
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

My 61 failed its Texas safety inspection because it did not have seat belts. The law stated that any car that had bolt holes in the floor for a seat belt must have seat belts. So sure enough it had lugs in the floor for seat belts. They had rubber plugs in them so I guess belts were a option in '61. Just removed rubber plugs and bolted in seat belt. So after the mandatory headlight aiming (to boost the cost a little more) I got my new safety sticker. (I know, it was probably stupid to be driving around San Antonio without seat belts!)

Comment

Seat belts were not federally required in new vehicles until January 1, 1965. Most states adopted seat belt requirements in the mid 1980s thru mid '90s. Some vehicles prior to 1965 year models did have provisions for seat belts, but many did not. My '62 GT Hawk did have them, for both front and rear, but none of the other, earlier, Studes I've had has had them. I installed belts by drilling the holes and using large thick (3"x 1/8"thick ) washers under the floor, as was typical when adding belts to cars without them in years past.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
              Seat belts were not federally required in new vehicles until January 1, 1965. Most states adopted seat belt requirements in the mid 1980s thru mid '90s. Some vehicles prior to 1965 year models did have provisions for seat belts, but many did not. My '62 GT Hawk did have them, for both front and rear, but none of the other, earlier, Studes I've had has had them. I installed belts by drilling the holes and using large thick (3"x 1/8"thick ) washers under the floor, as was typical when adding belts to cars without them in years past.
              Agree, but some states (eg, NY) required seat belts prior to the federal mandate. And while a number of states later required seat belts on ALL cars, this requirement was often waived for vehicles with antique/historic plates. In general, federal safety and emissions standards apply only "as of" a certain date, and do not apply to vehicles manufactured prior to the effective date. Many state laws utilize this same principle.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Cus63, do you need pictures & dimensions for seat belts in a Hawk? I have a 64 Hawk and can take pix and measurements and post them if needed. If so, just rear belts or front & rear?
                --Dwight

Comment

Thanks Dwight, that would be great, just for the rear,

regards, Cus
                  sigpic

Comment

I always thought 61 and later USA cars had to have seat belt holes, reinforced, with nuts attached. Cannot recall specifically for 61, but ever 62 and later Stude I've owned had them. All earlier Studes, I just drilled them, and used the huge washers that came with the seat belt kits. Worst is the 56J, which I had to make n 'X' slice into the rockers, to peel them back in order to access the floorboard and install the front belts on the outboard sides. The 'X' re-folds to close back neatly though.

Comment

Attached are pix of the rear seat belt holes (plugs) on my 64 Hawk. (The car has apparently never had rear seat belts.) The inboard one is 9" from the center of the hump. The outboard one is 16" from the inboard one. Both dimensions are center-to-center. If you need any further pix or dimensions let me know.
                      --Dwight
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 1964 (2).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1866180Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 1964 (4).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1866179

Comment

Thanks very much Dwight,