Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCDave51
    replied
    Folks/Clark: this thread needs to be reassigned or restarted.

What started as a vacuum gauge concern has passed through wheels and tires onto steering?!

(My own post (#9) didn’t help - sorry!)

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Foley Motors in Harrisonburg, VA sold four 1963 Avantis, including a red one with the quick-ratio manual steering option. I wondered at the time why they did that, but I guess with the narrow, bias-ply tires of the day it probably didn't steer too hard. It was red, black interior, R2, 4-spd. So, whoever ordered it speced it to be a performance car.
    --Dwight

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    So, power steering Avantis did have quicker steering, 16:1, than manual @ 22:1. Of course, as I understand it, you could order 16:1 manual steering.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That sounds correct, I did not mean to imply and don't think I did, that Larks and Hawks had different Ratios Power to Manual, but Heavier Lark s and Lark Type Models DID.

I did learn something from my quite accurate '64 Showroom Book though. (No Avanti Specs)
    With the Ross Manual Steering in the Hawk, it is just a hair quicker than the Recirculating Ball, Saginaw Steering Box in the Lark Types.
    Hawk = 4.6 Turns and Lark = 4.7 Turns. Convertible & Wagonaire 5.2

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    Rich, can you check the steering ratios please? IIRC, the Avanti had 16:1 for power steering and 22:1 for manual. Additionally, the GT Hawk had the same ratio regardless of manual or power steering.

Of course, my memory could be faulty. I am out of town and cannot check the books at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It must be remembered also that unfortunately, unlike ANY other Studebaker, Avantis had a "Quicker" Steering Gear instead of a "Slower" one on Non-Power Steering equipped Cars.

So instead of making it easier to turn on a heavy Car like they did on Convertibles and Sliding Roof Wagonaire's by using a "Slower" Ratio Steering Gear on Manual Steering, they did just the Opposite on Avantis!

The thinking must have been; that anyone who would special Order an Avanti WITHOUT Power Steering on a Heavy & Nose Heavy Car like that MUST have been Planning on Road Racing, seriously "Spirited Driving" or something and Probably also ordered an R2 Engine, 4 Speed Trans, Heavy Duty Springs, Shocks and Twin Traction.

Just to be SURE, I would check that Steering Ratio out to see if it MIGHT have came with Power Steering and had it removed like the Supercharger.

Leave a comment:

• tadamsr2
    replied
    I'll have to check tire size and post.. Thanks y'all!

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    Check your PM's

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Glad you finally got the car you always wanted. It is possible to have both the supercharger and the AC. Modern rotary compressors are much more compact than the old York dinosaurs. A search here will find several different mounting methods.

That's often the wrong tire/wheel choice or an ungreased suspension. Get a Studebaker Shop Manual; there are several fittings which are difficult to see. Use an air-powered grease gun and put that 34-year-old son to work. There are enough grease fittings on a Stude, a 72-year-old should be sitting down, reading the Shop Manual and directing the project. Put the front end on jack stands. Clean all the hardened crud off all of the grease fittings. Lube each fitting, cycle the wheels full left to full right and lube it again. A properly lubricated car will be guaranteed to steer better.

Then, take the Avanti and the Shop Manual to the best alignment shop in town. A properly aligned car is guaranteed to steer better.

What size tires and what wheels are on your car? What tire pressures are you running? The correct tires and wheels make all the difference in how a non-PS car feels.

jack vines
    Couldn’t agree more, Jack.

With the good advice from others here, I swapped out the 215/75-15s off my Champ for the 6.70-15 bias ww’s it was more or less born with and it was just like having power steering installed.

While one loses contact patch and therefore braking traction, one gains that back as significantly less turning resistance!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Glad you finally got the car you always wanted. It is possible to have both the supercharger and the AC. Modern rotary compressors are much more compact than the old York dinosaurs. A search here will find several different mounting methods.

Originally posted by tadamsr2 View Post
    The no PWR Steering sucks too.
    That's often the wrong tire/wheel choice or an ungreased suspension. Get a Studebaker Shop Manual; there are several fittings which are difficult to see. Use an air-powered grease gun and put that 34-year-old son to work. There are enough grease fittings on a Stude, a 72-year-old should be sitting down, reading the Shop Manual and directing the project. Put the front end on jack stands. Clean all the hardened crud off all of the grease fittings. Lube each fitting, cycle the wheels full left to full right and lube it again. A properly lubricated car will be guaranteed to steer better.

Then, take the Avanti and the Shop Manual to the best alignment shop in town. A properly aligned car is guaranteed to steer better.

What size tires and what wheels are on your car? What tire pressures are you running? The correct tires and wheels make all the difference in how a non-PS car feels.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• tadamsr2
    replied
    I appreciate anything I can get to help me out, I have a lot of questions and will have regarding this car. When I was a young man out of the service my 1st car was 1967 RS/SS Camaro 350. Then I got hooked on the 69-70 Olds 442's. Couldn't afford to keep any of them as my young children preferred food on the table and roof over their head. Going on 72 now I finally have the car I always wanted but really never pursued them until I got my current one. It is nice and I didn't realize it was an original R2 until I started getting some paperwork on it. It is outfitted with square headlights but don't know how that happened. The original owner sold it in an estate sale and I don't know if he was even alive. I own it now and I think it is criminal that the Supercharger was removed and replaced with AC. Thank y'all for the information. I love the long hood, Reminds me a lot of a 73 XKE 2+2 I owned in 2008. Same feel. The no PWR Steering sucks too. My son who is 34 really has his eyes on it..

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    FWIW, a pressure/vacuum gauge which has been idle for years may be sluggish and gummed up from lack of use. I alternate low pressure air and a hand vacuum pump to exercise the internal movement and usually the gauge will free up.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    I once had a similar task as you. I bought a 63 Avanti (originally an R2 car) with no engine and wanted to return it as close as possible to original. I had a basement full of Studebaker parts, so the raw materials were there. So, every time I went to an SDC show I photographed engine compartments from all angles. I photographed only cars that the owner said were original or authentically restored.

Note that 63 & 64 Avanti R2 engines were a little different, mainly in the fuel system (return line from engine to fuel tank, and fuel filter). If you want I'll take more pix of my 64's engine and post them. Not much trouble at all.
    --Dwight

Leave a comment:

• tadamsr2
    replied
    Thanks Dwight, Now I will have to really look at this sucker.Yes it is a 63 R2 a previous owner removed supercharger and just hooked up the existing carb and never swapped out anything else. I am actually glad because I am trying to find all supercharger, blower and everything else to bring it back to original. Thank You Sir! Pictures, Great!

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Here is a closeup of the iron fitting where the vac. gauge hose connects. The hose with the green clamp is the vac. gauge hose.
    --Dwight
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti 1964 R2 sn_R5255 20201113 (3).JPG
Views:	236
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1865038

Leave a comment:

Working...
X