Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who runs raised white letter tires on their stock looking stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_82393.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1865805 no white letters, but could carry it with the rims

Comment

My 2004 F150 "heritage" PU (basically 2003 with leftover parts) came with OWL tires. When it was time for new tires, I got another set of OWL. I like the look where appropriate.

If I had a stock looking vintage car (that predates those type of tires) that I wanted to use white letter tires on, they only look OK in that case IMO if also I was running dog dish caps or mags. NO full stock wheel covers and for all that is sacred never with wire wheels or wire covers! (no insults intended for those that like that....)....

Jeff in ND

Comment

I don't particularly care for the white lettered tires or the wide white side walls. By the way my green '65 Cruiser runs black sidewalls on "kidney" alloy wheels. I get lots of positive responses. But then each to his/her own. Oh, and by-the-way the car is mint green without shag carpeting.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Name:	my 69 Cobra.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1865883 We got some raised white letter B.F.Goodrich tires for our stock 63 Avanti to go on the Shelby mags we had on it then painted the letters black and turned them to the inside. On the other hand, my 69 Fairlane Cobra came with Goodyear white letter tires, and nothing could have looked better! Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4090 - Copy.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1865882 I can't think of any other cars or trucks ( over 150 and counting ) we've had that the white letter tires were appropriate on.

Comment

what ever came original is best !
            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
            Lewisville,NC

Comment

yep those are goodrich t/a treads, i had a 68 ranchero once, but that cobra is worth some bucks, goodyear and firestone, is better than goodrich letters

you can paint them on now

STUDEBAKER would be real cool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/tire-letter...YAAOSwkDtcA2vN
              Last edited by mw2013; 11-18-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Name:	hawk rwl.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1866363

Comment

I guess its just a generational thing. If you are use to all white tires on wooden spokes, you might not go for this look.

I like the Rally's and raise letters looks, even on a 4 door. To me, it is 60's period correct.

1969 first year for Mustang with raised white letters.

Name:	2020-11-21_23-51-08.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1866370

My 85 Celica GTS had factory "BF Goodrich TA Radials" lettered tires.

And

Mickey still thinks they are cool...

Name:	MICKTSC13-1000.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1866372
                  Attached Files

Comment

I do not believe that raised white letter tires were commonly available or standard equipment on cars when Studebakers were built.
                    To me that makes them period incorrect on any Studebaker. I think of them primarily on 1970s cars and do not like them then. Of course the companies that made them liked them for the free advertising.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I would use Red Lines. They are available in radials, too.
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                      X