Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who runs raised white letter tires on their stock looking stude?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wheels / Tires: who runs raised white letter tires on their stock looking stude?

    white stripe= classic
    black walls looks dull to me
    does raised white letters make it look like a late 60's pony car?

  • #2
    I think they are the Preferred or the Best Look for the Five Spoke "Mag" Type Wheels of various brands like Cragar, it's the "Racer" Look for Performance Cars ... Come on, Let;s GO!

    On a Totally Stock Stude. with Wheelcovers, NOT.
    I like the Narrow Whitewalls best on ANY Post War Year Stude.

    Wide White walls... just TOO Fat.

    Blackwalls, I agree, just ugly, should Only be on 1950's Police Cars, and Trucks.

    Here is one I owned a few Years ago,
    bought it after the Guy saved his Mopar Rally Wheels and Raised White Letter tires, it didn't look too bad.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	64Daytona4drStratoBlue.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	1864682
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-10-2020, 09:22 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      I think they are the Preferred or Best Look for the Five Spoke "Mag" Type Wheels of various brands like Cragar, it's the "Racer" Look for Performance Cars ... Come on, Let;s GO!

      On a Totally Stock Stude. with Wheelcovers, NOT.
      I like the Narrow Whitewalls best on ANY Post War Year Stude.

      Wide White walls... just TOO Fat.

      Blackwalls, I agree, just ugly, should Only be on 1950's Police Cars, and Trucks.
      yes would need "mag" wheels to go with the letters

      black walls for 70's and newer, that's when the chrome went away? i think chrome had something do with the look, but i can't pin it down

      wide white wall= pimp mobile, super fly

      pre war could pull off white stripes no? dictator?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I think they are the Preferred or the Best Look for the Five Spoke "Mag" Type Wheels of various brands like Cragar, it's the "Racer" Look for Performance Cars ... Come on, Let;s GO!

        On a Totally Stock Stude. with Wheelcovers, NOT.
        I like the Narrow Whitewalls best on ANY Post War Year Stude.

        Wide White walls... just TOO Fat.

        Blackwalls, I agree, just ugly, should Only be on 1950's Police Cars, and Trucks.

        Here is one I owned a few Years ago,
        bought it after the Guy saved his Mopar Rally Wheels and Raised White Letter tires, it didn't look too bad.

        Click image for larger version Name:	64Daytona4drStratoBlue.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	1864682
        for that body style it works, subtle 64 ford falcon, chevy II, boxy pony cars

        hey it screams"i am not entering a concourse competition, this is my daily driver"

        Comment


        • #5
          Since your heading states; " stock looking stude", no white letter tires would be appropriate/correct.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

          SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Since your heading states; " stock looking stude", no white letter tires would be appropriate/correct.
            ...and a step further in this delightfully arcane topic, I’d like to suggest that only 2-doors should wear white letter (OWL) tires and not 4-doors.

            Only my ‘99 C5 convertible had enough HP to warrant OWL tires and I still wouldn’t drive a car wearing them. Sorry.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

              ...and a step further in this delightfully arcane topic, I’d like to suggest that only 2-doors should wear white letter (OWL) tires and not 4-doors.

              Only my ‘99 C5 convertible had enough HP to warrant OWL tires and I still wouldn’t drive a car wearing them. Sorry.
              they may spruce up even a station wagon, it's a form of ricer

              Comment


              • #8
                They look good on that late lark up there. Also would look good on a rodded pickup perhaps. I have the blackwalls on my 39 CE and like that with the American five spokes.
                Last edited by t walgamuth; 11-12-2020, 06:47 AM.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have to disagree with StudeRich here, as I think the white letter tires make that Daytona look silly (no offense intended Rich, but I think white letter tires were a 1970's trend).
                  With good looking aftermarket aluminum wheels, I think blackwalls are best as it should be the wheels that draw attention!

                  However, if you are installing shag carpeting in your car and repainting the exterior lime-green metal flake, then white letter tires would be ideal.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    I have to disagree with StudeRich here, as I think the white letter tires make that Daytona look silly (no offense intended Rich, but I think white letter tires were a 1970's trend).
                    With good looking aftermarket aluminum wheels, I think blackwalls are best as it should be the wheels that draw attention!

                    However, if you are installing shag carpeting in your car and repainting the exterior lime-green metal flake, then white letter tires would be ideal.
                    ha, ha...you bet. While we are all entitled to our opinions, I have never liked or owned a vehicle with white lettered tires unless the letters were mounted on the inside of the rim. I always said the manufacturer is not paying me to advertise their rubber so why would I do it for free.... black walls for all my rides. If I actually owned a classy ride I would be temped to run era-appropriate white walls, but seeing how that is not about to happen anytime soon, black walls for now. cheers, junior
                    sigpic
                    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by junior View Post

                      ha, ha...you bet. While we are all entitled to our opinions, I have never liked or owned a vehicle with white lettered tires unless the letters were mounted on the inside of the rim. I always said the manufacturer is not paying me to advertise their rubber so why would I do it for free.... black walls for all my rides. If I actually owned a classy ride I would be temped to run era-appropriate white walls, but seeing how that is not about to happen anytime soon, black walls for now. cheers, junior
                      when i was a kid, "Firestone" and Goodyear" turned me on, BF GOODRICH radial T/A ehhh,but everyone had them, today HANKOOK not so much

                      some cars cme with them from the factory...pantera, goodyear Ariva's

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My 70 Camaro came with white-letter Firestone Wide Ovals (still have the OEM spare tire). When those wore out, drove it for many years with Michelin radials, but when they got to be 20 years old, I went back to the repro Wide Ovals sold by Coker. Get as many comments about the tires as I do about the car.
                        Skip Lackie

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by junior View Post

                          ha, ha...you bet. While we are all entitled to our opinions, I have never liked or owned a vehicle with white lettered tires unless the letters were mounted on the inside of the rim. I always said the manufacturer is not paying me to advertise their rubber so why would I do it for free.... black walls for all my rides. If I actually owned a classy ride I would be temped to run era-appropriate white walls, but seeing how that is not about to happen anytime soon, black walls for now. cheers, junior
                          Exactly. Having spent 40+ years in the wholesale tire and wheel industry, if I see another "Cooper Cobra Radial G/T" at a car show it won't be soon enough. But then again I am prejudiced.
                          Bill

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Back in the early '70s just foolin around, I mounted the white letter G-60s and 7" rims from my '71 Satellite Sebring on the rear of my '64 Daytona HT. They wouldn't fit within the front fenders at all, and it looked too ridiculous to be seen in.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              However that local circle track '64 Daytona lowered and with all four fenders 'clearanced' for those HUGE stock car racing tires looked downright gnarly wicked, and backed it up weekly with many wins.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X