Rockne Cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Rockne Cylinder head

I am busy restoring a 1932 Rockne. Unfortunately the cylinder head is probably beyond repair. The casting number is 182074. Following letter-number combination is also on the head: I-26N3. From what I can gather the engine is an early Champion engine? The combustion chamber is sort of heart shaped. I am now looking for a replacement head. Do heads of later models fit? Minor alterations, if necessary,would not be an issue, i.e. diameter of fitting for temperature sensor etc. I am attaching a photo of the head. Any info would be most welcome.

Why not compare head gaskets to start? why is your head beyond repair? Luck Doofus

Comment

The Champion engine was not even a gleam in engineering's eye in '32. Am pretty sure your engine became the very long lived Commander six. Heads for those are readily available, even in my back garden. We need to hear from an expert from your era but might be able to get a long way forward with just length and width dimensions of your head. Are you pretty sure the engine is original to the car?

Comment

Ross is correct. The 189.7 cid Rockne Model 65 engine is the precursor to the Commander Six, not the Champion Six.

If inventory exists, the standard cylinder head is Studebaker part# 510430; and the high compression head is # 510798.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I THINK that Studebaker made the block wider starting in 1936, so only cylinder heads from ‘32-‘35 will work. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the insight. Re doofus' question, the head has cracks and is internally corroded in places. The guys at the head workshop tried to weld it but it keeps on developing new cracks when cooling down. May be they should use a high silica rod and work on a hot head?
            Ross, I am not sure if the engine is original, I am attaching two photos. It is equipped with an updraught carburetor, the engine number is D2953. What the dimensions of the head are concerned, the width is 16.2 cm (~41 in), length is 60.5 cm (~153.7 in) and height measured at stud holes is 5.1 cm (~12.9 in).
            I doubt that I will find a head here in South Africa, so might have to try to source one in the US.

Comment

Ooops, I got the conversion wrong. the width is 6.38 in, length 23.81 in and the height 2 in

Comment

Originally posted by Johannes View Post
                ...the engine number is D2953.
                if so , it would appear to be a '34 Dictator engine according to the attached file. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I have an aluminum head but no way to test it.

Comment

Did the 1934 Dictator engine have an updraught carburetor? If not I would assume that carb, inlet manifold and exhaust manifold have been transplanted from the original Rockne engine? Would they fit?

Comment

I checked the engine number. The cast number is 180589 - 2 , below the cast number I find : M .10 .3. That would indicate that the engine block stems from 1933 (M = 1933). The firewall tag shows: 30 W 8234. I need to check what has been stamped on the engine during assembly. The quoted engine number D 2953 is listed in the car papers. I need to check if i can find that number anywhere on the block. All a bit confusing for a Studebaker newcomer :-). Next I will make a comparison of the car's head gasket with the numerous contemporaneous head gaskets on sale on e-bay.

Comment

The casting date code "M .10 . 3" reads as 1933 October 3rd. So, the model year of the block is 1934. (I guess that's obvious; just thought I would mention it.)
                        --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Johannes View Post
                          The firewall tag shows: 30 W 8234. I need to check what has been stamped on the engine during assembly. The quoted engine number D 2953 is listed in the car papers. I need to check if i can find that number anywhere on the block.
                          The 30W 8234 on the cowl tag simply indicates the 8,234th four-door standard sedan (rear mounted spare).
                          The stamped engine number you are looking for will be found on the left side of the block, above the distributor and immediately below the cylinder head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB091222.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	1864476

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Gents, the more I look for information on my Rockne engine, the more I get confused. I tried identifying the engine via the head gasket. The Dictator gasket looks different. I am attaching a picture of the Rockne head gasket. Noteworthy the two triangles shaped water channels between cylinders 2-3 and 4-5. Can anybody help with the identification?

Comment

Ok, now I am quite sure what I have. Its the Dictator engine 34-35 as Brad already mentioned. The gasket fits, only mine is an aftermarket job with one of the holes for the studs missing! The gasket set I can get from Olson's gaskets. Would anybody know of a head that is for sale? Bob you mentioned you have one. Is it the correct head? Can you send me a picture? You have my e-mail address.

Comment

Working...
                              X