Annoying sound from rear of GT Hawk; seems to be speed related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Annoying sound from rear of GT Hawk; seems to be speed related

My 1964 GT Hawk is running great, now, excepting an annoying noise in the rear. It seems to be speed-related (worse as speed increases). My personal mechanic says its not drum brake or wheel-related, possibly the "baffle"; although originally another mechanic said he couldn't release rear brake from tapered spindle, It's very annoying.

Sounds like worn bearing, or worn set of gears. Sound kinda like a ongoing siren getting louder as you go faster, until it becomes numbing. See what happens when your accelerating, or at speed and you let off pedal momentarily....... By taking the load off it, the noise should quite itself for a moment, or the pitch should reduce, until you resume the load. You will have to put it on a lift, run it up and use an automotive stethoscope to determine where exactly the noise is coming from, pinion, pumpkin, outer axles........

I don't think it would be brakes, unless something is stuck and the friction that would cause a noise would probably also cause a great deal of heat....................

Oh, one more thought. It might be U-joints, but that might produce a squeaking sorta noise????? But, at high speed, it would whale, just another thought......

Bo
    Bo

Comment

A better description than "annoying noise" would help. Is it a screech, roar, rubbing, etc.?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Maybe you should let your mother in law out of the trunk.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by "Sparky" View Post
          My 1964 GT Hawk is running great, now, excepting an annoying noise in the rear. It seems to be speed-related (worse as speed increases). My personal mechanic says its not drum brake or wheel-related, possibly the "baffle"; although originally another mechanic said he couldn't release rear brake from tapered spindle, It's very annoying.
          OK, I have a question about your mechanic's statement...... Is he attempting to pull the drum/hub?
          If so, YOU MUST HAVE THE CORRECT (LUG ATTACH) Puller. Otherwise you will destroy or warp the drum.

Comment

I know this sounds basic. Have you checked the rear lube level?

Comment

Originally posted by "Sparky" View Post
              My 1964 GT Hawk is running great, now, excepting an annoying noise in the rear. It seems to be speed-related (worse as speed increases). My personal mechanic says its not drum brake or wheel-related, possibly the "baffle"; although originally another mechanic said he couldn't release rear brake (is that "Drum"? ) from tapered spindle, It's very annoying.
              Definitely I agree with Post #5, THIS is Very disturbing if it means what I think it means!

Of course he can't, the Hub and the Drum come off ONLY as an Assembly, with the correct "Hub Puller".
              He could already have caused the damage that is causing the Noise.

The "Other" Mechanic say's it's the "Baffle"? WHAT baffle, in a rear brake setup, nothing like that exists. This sounds like a "Wording" or understanding of same issue.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I am baffled by the baffle. Never heard of anything like that in the differential or the brake system.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                  I am baffled by the baffle. Never heard of anything like that in the differential or the brake system.
                  Actually, we had a TSB that a broken baffle in the muffler would cause a whining noise that almost sounded like differential whine while at freeway speeds. It would quiet down letting off the gas and other techs in the network dealerships had reported rebuilding differentials without fixing the noise. Changing the muffler fixed it.

Comment

Could baffle mean muffler?
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Thanks to all for suggestions. I drove my Hawk, today. Now sounds more like coming from the front of car. Definitely speed and movement-related, since it doesn't occur unless car is moving. The sound is not high-pitched. It's more like something rubbing against a wheel, providing some vibration and low pitch noise. It's very noticeable and "annoying." I will check the differential for lube.

Comment

Maybe just one of the Inner Front fender Rubber splash Shields rubbing on a Tire.

Pull the Wheelcovers and check the Lug Nuts.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Maybe just one of the Inner Front fender Rubber splash Shields rubbing on a Tire.

Pull the Wheelcovers and check the Lug Nuts.
                          The first part of your post is the first thing that I thought of, also.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We may have found the problem with the "annoying speed-related sound." It seems to be a problem noted when I first had the car inspected; noticed but not repaired. It could be the right rear drum brake or tapered Dana 44 spindle on the hub.

Comment

If there is any run out of the brake drum, it could be hitting the backing plate for the brakes.

The convolutions of the drum where it meets the backing plate convolutions, designed to keep out water and such, could account for one mechanic's use of the word "baffle".
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X