Tune up tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Tune up tools

Are there tach/dwell meters for my ‘52 Champion? I would like to know how fast it idles. Also, I would like to get an idea of how fast the engine is turning at different road speeds. Is there a chart/graph for that? I figure I could cheat the timing light with an induction sensor that clamps on the plug wire.
    thanks
    brian

Most Dwell/Tach/Voltmeter Combo's will work on 6 Volt Positive Ground Six Cylinder Engines. All Parts Stores carry them.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich. I have two observations:
      My old, analog tach/dwell meter is 12V only, so I need to get a new digital one to work with my even older car.
      NOBODY at my local auto parts stores know what a tach/dwell meter is! It was hanging on the peg behind them!!
      I just got blank stares. One person thought they are for some old cars🤔
      I like to support local, even if they are a chain, but best price and info is on Amazon🤨

Comment

Are you sure your meter is 12V only? Most use an internal battery to power the meter so it stays accurate during RPM changes. Those batteries could be dead. I suppose some meters may not trigger properly on the 6V points but that seems odd. I have an old one and new one and both work fine on 6V systems.

Comment

As far as the timing light goes just hook light leads up to a 12 volt battery then put induction clamp on number one cylinder - will work fine.
          Dave Hugo
          Wellford, SC
          1940 Champion
          1950 Champion Coupe
          1955 President Coupe
          1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

My timing light actually works OK on 6V. Dim, but usable if it is not too sunny outside. Worth a try...

Comment

Glad I found this thread. Missing piece for me is what side of the coil to put the dwell clamp on when using an external 12V battery on a 6V+ system? Would it be the + side (reverse of directions given for use on a 12V system)? Thanks!
              -James

Comment

Originally posted by duncan1951 View Post
                As far as the timing light goes just hook light leads up to a 12 volt battery then put induction clamp on number one cylinder - will work fine.
                If using an external 12-volt battery to power a timing light, use an alligator clip jumper to the battery. If the battery isn't grounded to the car, be careful not to touch any part of the car; the full spark plug voltage will jump through you. Ask me how I know ;>)

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

• duncan1951
                  duncan1951 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  never had any problem with this -
                  maybe waking up in the corner of the shop may explain :-)

jack -- sounds like an altogether unpleasant scenario... in order to avoid that, clarifying questions:
                "alligator clip to the battery" -- which battery and where does the other end go?
                do you know where the dwell clip from my timing light would go on the 6V+ vehicle?

feel like i should diagram this to be 100% sure.

thanks!
                -James

Comment

The dwell meter is to be connected to the side of the coil linked to the distributor. + side in your case assuming the coil was not hooked backwards, which I often saw.
                  sigpic

Comment

James; On the Dwell Meter Connection, the Original question:

The usually Green Distributor pickup Lead, has to go to the Dist. Terminal or the Positive (Ground) Coil small Terminal.
                    I would try the Car's Battery first. for the Timing Light connection.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

christophe -- thanks, didn't know that could even be a thing...
                      StudeRich -- I like the idea -- don't suppose it could hurt the timing light itself due to lower voltage -- the directions explicitly state that it is for 12V - .... but I'll give it a try.

FWIW, I decided to completely start over in the artistry that is timing; in order...
                      Set cyl Home to TDC
                      Rotated distributor so points are "wide open" -- at highest point on cam
                      Confirmed/reset point gap
                      Confirmed vacuum advance/spark modifier works -- hand vacuum gauge comes tomorrow so I'll be able to put numbers to it
                      Rotated distributor back so that "points just start to open" per shop manual
                      Now I will attempt to put the timing light on it while also measuring vacuum; dial in the carb to smooth idle/highest vacuum; then rotate distributor as needed to further smooth out idle and best throttle response.
                      What am I missing?
                      -James

Comment

Anxiety strikes -- please help!
                        Getting ready to hook the timing light up, I noticed that the NEG post on my coil goes to the Distributor block... is the coil polarity agnostic? Should I switch it? As christophe points out, it may be backwards....
                        And, does it matter which clamps from the timing light go to which posts on the battery? Black clamp to NEG post and Red clamp to POS (ground) post? OR should I cross them?

Thanks for the help!
                        -James

Comment

• StudeRich
                          StudeRich commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I THOUGHT we covered that, in Post # 11 !

The polarity at the coil MUST respect the polarity of the battery or you'll get bad performance from the coil. Respect the polarity as well to hook the timing light (red on +, black on -). Setting the gap at the points is to be done when the engine is at the ignition point, not at TDC, but it is not critical as you'll adjust it with the timing light (with the vacuum line going to the carb disconnected and plugged). A 0,50 mm gap should put you in the 37-41 degree range.
                        sigpic

Comment

thanks for confirming, christophe -- after 10 years with the current +/- set-up, I'll definitely re-orient the coil (aftermarket) this weekend.

The test drive tonight with all fine tunings including your suggestion of increasing point gap from factory .33mm/.013" helped considerably. I feel like the final step will be in finding where my carb/intake leak is -- manifold vacuum is incredibly low at idle. Thanks again.
                          -James

Comment

Working...
                          X