Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'66 Cruiser thunk/clunking noise just behind bottom of driver's side of instrument panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: '66 Cruiser thunk/clunking noise just behind bottom of driver's side of instrument panel

My low-mileage Cruiser is put away for the winter today, but it has a very annoying metallic thunking/clunking sound on cracked pavement in town, that seems to be from around where my knees are when driving. I have looked up under the dash, originally thinking it might involve the mounting of the (non-power, drum) brake pedal, as it has seemed sometimes that I can feel the thunk when braking on bumps. But then, sometimes when I'm turning while the road pavement is cracked, I can feel it in the steering too (of course, I'm usually also braking when turning). It's away 'til spring but I don't know if I'll be able to just turn the radio up, this clunking sound is so noticeable, so often. Everything I can touch up under the instrument panel on the driver's side seems tight. Anyone ever have anything similar? Thanks.

I do believe the noise is originating from up under the dash, but located pretty low there--around the column.
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 10-31-2020, 03:20 PM.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Is the steering column collar snug?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Appears to be, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the bolts.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Also, have you checked under the hood. Not a C/K, but with those, most people identify the underhood cross bar noise as being an under dash noise.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Sorry, that you have such a hard to diagnose problem. It's unfortunate that you had to put it away for the Winter because our help and suggestions NOW, can't be utilized.

This is one of those conditions that I would just about need to be there to figure out.
          Maybe ride in the Shotgun Seat with my Head on the Trans. Tunnel to figure it out!

There are sometimes STRANGE sources of various noises, always described differently by different people.

Example: I have had '64's with Oil Pressure Gauges that got air in the line & got "Hydraulic Knock"and made Odd knocking sounds that you would swear were metallic!

But you driving over Cracks and hearing it near the Steering Column is unusual, it leads me to the Saginaw Steering Gear on your Manual Steering or Power Steering Cruiser?

Sometimes the Steering SHAFT can rattle in the Column from a worn upper bushing.
          Also road shock traveling into the Gearbox causing noise could mean excessive wear, Low Oil etc.

Or maybe as far away as it is, what about a loose Center Bellcrank or it's Bushing knocking & sound traveling all the way through the steering to the column?

It COULD be almost ANYTHING, including Loose Lower "A" Arms that often happen from re-using stretched Bolts.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 10-31-2020, 04:12 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I would check A-arm mountings and if radial tires check wheel covers and lug nuts.... anything could be telescoping up to you....

Comment

Thanks all for the tips.

I know it needs control arm bushings, as I can see that and they groan for five seconds after I climb out.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                Thanks all for the tips.

I know it needs control arm bushings, as I can see that and they groan for five seconds after I climb out.
                It may just be the rubber. Try some rubber lube and see how they react. How long do you groan after you climb out?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  I would check A-arm mountings and if radial tires check wheel covers and lug nuts.... anything could be telescoping up to you....
                  I believe Jack has hit on something that is really a serious possibility! Not really the lug nuts or lug bolts, but the flange of the brake drum where the holes are swedged around the lug bolts. I had a similar experience shortly after finishing the total restoration of my '48 business coupe. The noise was a bit varied depending upon whether you were turning or braking. Irritating, but difficult to determine the source. The difficulty in properly diagnosing it is that the flange will creak, thump, and crack under different stresses, but since it is sandwiched between the wheel and hub, it can't be seen until the wheel is removed. Even then, the crack is difficult to see unless you can find almost imperceptible rusty lines spiderwebbing or radiating out from the stud holes. That was how I found the cracked one on mine. Other than magniflux, I don't know of any way of finding those cracks unless you stress the drum enough to flex it while the wheel is removed.

The reason I say it is a serious thing is that it could lead to total brake drum failure under hard braking or a sudden sharp turn. So, check your brake drums very carefully around the lug bolts.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It may just be the rubber. Try some rubber lube and see how they react. How long do you groan after you climb out?

Good question, Gary, LOL! I can see the rubber breaking and coming out in spots in the control arm bushings. I have sprayed silicone spray on them in the past and that lasts a week or something! I am 235 lbs. so the car is getting a workout, LOL.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Come spring have a slim club member with a length of 3/8 fuel line ride with you. a mechanics stethoscope might be handy also. Luck Doofus

Comment

If you ever replaced the hood release cable, then check the bracket mounting bolts. They also hold the dash lower brace (z-bar) to the body.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks all, for the tips. Storing them for early spring.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                          X