Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tim333
    replied
    Yeah baby! Tried to upload video, didn’t work. Photo is not my engine, tried to delete, that didn’t work either.
    Last edited by tim333; 12-20-2020, 11:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Yeah Rich, simple as it seems. It was a tooth or two off, rotor was pointing between 1 and 8. Just couldn’t get enough advance to get it running. I remember noticing it awhile ago when I looked under the cap just didn’t realize I could move it so slightly. I thought either in one position or 180 out.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    So you are actually saying that all that was wrong is, you never properly Timed it?
    And Or, someone did not Plug the Plug Wires into the Dist. Cap in the correct Locations causing you to turn the Dist. all the way into the Firewall and still have a very short run before dying.

That's a bit different from Most no start issues for sure! Just glad it's running again.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    I mentioned the position of the vacuum advance to indicate there was no room left to advance the timing.

Leave a comment:

• Al from Eatonville
    replied
    So was the vacuum advance the problem or was the distributor the problem? I ask so that I can learn. I am not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined, and I love learning new things. My ride is a 53 Commander Coupe with the original engine and 6 volt electrics so this information is gold.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Vacuum advance was up against firewall, almost started. Brought up to TDC, rotor pointing between 1 and 8. Pulled distributor and moved a few teeth over. Started right up, no smoke or acorns blown out exhaust. First run up to operating temperature since 1997. All gauges working showing good oil pressure and temperature.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Brianbo is absolutely right! 12 years working in a Nat, Gard repair facility Fuel and Electric shop have born this out! also repro ign switches that are Crap don't help! Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• Brianbo
    replied
    90% of all carburetor problems are electrical.

Leave a comment:

• Al from Eatonville
    replied
    So you're saying that a bad ignition switch would or could have the same result as if you had turned off the car? I never even thought of that. Good to know. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• rbisacca
    replied
    Originally posted by doofus View Post
    About now i would hot wire it and bypass the ign switch. they have been known to cause problems. Luck Doofus
    Boy does this bring back memories! Many years ago I restored a 2R5 and it exhibited the same problems. It would start reliably but after driving a short time it would quit. But then after a short time it would start run awhile and then quit again. It seemed to be fuel related but it was not. The problem? A bad ignition switch.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    About now i would hot wire it and bypass the ign switch. they have been known to cause problems. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Does the car start if you prime it with a squirt of gas through the carburetor air horn? If it does, and then runs out of gas and quits, I'd blame the carb. If it fails to start when primed, the ignition may be flaky. Might be a bad ignition switch.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    I’ll happily pay whatever extra to know the carb has been tested on a running engine.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I hate doing them for just that reason, I would not send one out without the "pain in the a$$" removing a 2 Brl. from a running Stude. V8 and testing a Rebuilt, more trouble than it is worth and no one wants to pay for that.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Yes Rich, your first paragraph clearly explains what I meant by “”auxiliary gas supply “. I fed gas thru a bottle. It’s already been back to the rebuilder twice. Looks real pretty but doesn’t work well. I may bite the bullet and buy a rebuilt, tested-on-a-running- engine and adjusted carb.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X