53 Starliner no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 53 Starliner no start

I have compression, spark and fuel. Cannot get engine to start consistently . I had the carb professionally rebuilt by a club member but only had it start a few times and idled 3-4 minutes before dying. Does anyone have a known good used carb from a 53 232 sitting around (maybe removed to do an upgrade) that I can buy or borrow for test purposes? Thanks
    Last edited by tim333; 10-30-2020, 02:57 PM.

Have you checked fuel pump? Is fuel filter clogged? If engine will run for 3-4 minutes and then die sounds like it's not getting fuel. Running on what's in fuel bowl.

Comment

Is the fuel line itself clogged? I had a similar problem. Solved it by disconnecting the fuel line just before the fuel pump and then connecting my air compressor to the fuel line. Removed the gas cap and heard a whole lot of gurgling from the gas tank. Reattached the fuel line to the fuel pump, and my car [53 Commander Coupe with the original 232 V8] started right up and ran as it should. Might be worth a try.
      Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

New gas tank, lines and pump. No go with auxiliary gas supply direct to carb either.

Comment

Test your new fuel pump.it may be the culprit even tho new. also check that float level is correct and float is functioning, with fuel line off look into fuel inlet and you can see tip of needle valve. in this situation i have found stuck needle valves and unseated them with a carb straw poke. this corn crap stuff plays havoc with our older cars , even ones that get driven often. Luck Doofus

Comment

I did have the top of the carb off, fuel was low and float sticking. Corrected that and watched the bowl fill up while cranking. It only started a couple times after that.

Comment

Have you checked for spark immediately after it dies? Electronic ignition?

Comment

Spark there, Pertronix.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                  Spark there, Pertronix.
                  Change it back to an original points system and see if your problem disappears.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It sounds like it could STILL be debris in the Fuel Pump Valves or similar in spite of "New Everything".

The timing sequence of these repairs and the Engine running is IMPORTANT.
                    Doing the wrong thing First, like attempting to start it, will allow you to be fooled into thinking all New is Good and clean!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich, this is a car that sat since 1998. Gas tank and fuel lines replaced, pump and carb sent off for restoration before any attempts to start. Also, Pertronix, plugs, wires, cap and rotor replaced before first turn of the key.

Comment

Ok that is good. So since you have tested the Carb. by bottle feeding it directly and eliminating all other parts of the system.

We now know almost for certain, that your Rebuilder made a mistake which happens to the best of them, by missing an important defect in the Carb. that MAY be hard to find. I would contact the Rebuilder for a repair.

Since you did say that you currently HAVE Spark and Compression, what is left; no flow through the Carb. Gasket, Intake Manifold and Gaskets?

This IS a Stock Stromberg Model WW rear draft Top, Carb. right?

Looks like we all missed the meaning of your Post #4:

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                        New gas tank, lines and pump. No go with auxiliary gas supply direct to Carb. either.

Last edited by StudeRich; 10-31-2020, 09:46 PM.
                        StudeRich

Comment

Yes Rich, your first paragraph clearly explains what I meant by “”auxiliary gas supply “. I fed gas thru a bottle. It’s already been back to the rebuilder twice. Looks real pretty but doesn’t work well. I may bite the bullet and buy a rebuilt, tested-on-a-running- engine and adjusted carb.

Comment

I hate doing them for just that reason, I would not send one out without the "pain in the a$$" removing a 2 Brl. from a running Stude. V8 and testing a Rebuilt, more trouble than it is worth and no one wants to pay for that.
                            StudeRich

Comment

I’ll happily pay whatever extra to know the carb has been tested on a running engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X