Dana 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana 44

How will I know if the rear bearings need to be re-packed........tell tale signs?? No problems at the present time.

Thanks

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    How will I know if the rear bearings need to be re-packed........tell tale signs?? No problems at the present time.

Thanks
    If you are getting indications that the rear outer bearings are not right (noise/heat/rough rolling) - it is probably too late. IIRC, Studebaker recommended cleaning and repacking those every 10K, but it might have gone up in the last years. Good luck.

Comment

My policy has always been: if I don't know when I did it last, it needs to be done....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        My policy has always been: if I don't know when I did it last, it needs to be done....
        That's why I always write it down so I don't do it twice in the same service interval.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

If you are getting indications that the rear outer bearings are not right (noise/heat/rough rolling) - it is probably too late. IIRC, Studebaker recommended cleaning and repacking those every 10K, but it might have gone up in the last years. Good luck.
          every 10k sounds kind of excessive, for a 1400.00 job to take the carrier out

Comment

The 1953 Commander owner's manual calls for rear bearing lubrication every 10K miles. Of course, this assumed normal everyday use so that it equated to about once per year.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              The 1953 Commander owner's manual calls for rear bearing lubrication every 10K miles. Of course, this assumed normal everyday use so that it equated to about once per year.
              my bad, axles not rear end

Comment

If you pack the bearings with white lubriplate bearing grease they will go a lot further than 10K. I had a 59 Hawk that I drove 60K before trading it off and never repacked the rear wheel bearings. I was dumb enough then to think they lubed from the differential oil.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

For Avanti models they "suggest" 25K miles.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    They were packed a little over 22K miles.

Comment

Jack is right. If you cannot remember the last time it was done, then it is time to do it. Book says every 10k miles, but it seldom got done 'cause it takes too long and ergo costs too much. (I keep a little notebook in the glovebox so I can remember when I do maintainance. Only problem is I have to remember to write in the little book!)

Comment

How well was it done the last time, by Whom, amount of Moisture allowed near it, type of use or storage, Quality/Type of Grease, ALL are Factors.
                        I think TIME is more important on our Cars Today, than Mileage.

At 22,000 Miles, if another Rear Brake job is 10,000 Miles or 5 Years away, I would do it NOW.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I always repacked rear axle bearings ASAP when acquiring a new-to-me Studebaker. Afterward, very 20,000 to 30,000 miles, and never had a problem with dry bearings. It's also a good time to inspect rear brakes, and inspect how the bearings are wearing. Rear axle bearings are usually good for at least 100,000 miles, unless they've been neglected by a PO.

With 22,000 miles since last re-packing, I'd keep it on the to-do list, but it would not be a priority unless I was making a looong trip.

Comment

Working...
                          X