No announcement yet.

what is exact dimesions and the stock backspace for a 60 lark 2 dr v8 wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: what is exact dimesions and the stock backspace for a 60 lark 2 dr v8 wheel

width, diameter, bolt circle and back space, thank you

The first three are very easy, the 4th. would take a measure, because "About" doesn't work.

4 1/2 Inches Wide inside the bead.

15 Inches Dia.

5 on 4 1/2 Inches Standard Ford/Chrysler Pattern.

Backspace: TBD.

________________________________________________________________________________ ____________

3/4 Inch Hex Lug Nuts, that do not work on other make Wheels that use 11/16", easy fix.

3 Humps Moulded into the wheel "Center" that hold the Studebaker only sized, small Hubcaps when the Optional Wheel Covers are not used.

Click image for larger version  Name:	64 Budd1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	1862313Click image for larger version  Name:	60 Hub Cap.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.2 KB ID:	1862314
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-23-2020, 10:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post
      width, diameter, bolt circle and back space, thank you
      stock full size hub caps grip like every other wheel out there, i can forgo the mini caps, although it would be nice to change over now and again

i don't understand the lug nuts comments, you say stude 3/4 and others are 11/16 and they are interchangeable?

Comment

I think Rich mis-typed. Stude lug nuts have a 3/4" hex, and 1/2-20 thread. Ford lug nuts have a 13/16" hex, and 1/2-20 thread. For years, in the same era, GM cars had lug nuts with a 3/4" hex, and a 7/16" fine thread. Chrysler products generally similar to Studebaker.

If you put Ford rims on a Studebaker, you should also use Ford lug nuts, as the taper seats in the Ford rims are designed for the larger nuts.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

i see thanks

Comment

UPDATE: OK back to the Real, IMPORTANT Original Question: What IS the Wheel Backspace?

The first three are very easy, the 4th. would take a measure, because "About" doesn't work.

15 Inches Dia.

5 on 4 1/2 Inches, Standard Ford/Chrysler Pattern.

Backspace: Measured from the outside of the Inner Rim Surface to the Drum Mounting Surface of an Original '59 Lark Wheel = 2 3/8 Inches.

Keep in mind that these Wheels are for the Stock Drum Brakes, and will not have enough clearance for Disc Brake Conversions.
            ________________________________________________________________________________ ____________

3/4 Inch Hex Lug Nuts, that do not work on other make Wheels that use 13/16" WRENCH Size, Also 1/2 -20 I.D. as apposed to the Stude. 3/4" Wrench Size and different Seat Angles, an easy fix.

3 Humps Molded into the wheel "Center" that hold the Studebaker only sized, small Hubcaps when the Optional Wheel Covers are not used.

StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              UPDATE: OK back to the Real, IMPORTANT Original Question: What IS the Wheel Backspace?

15 Inches Dia.

5 on 4 1/2 Inches, Standard Ford/Chrysler Pattern.

Backspace: Measured from the outside of the Inner Rim Surface to the Drum Mounting Surface of an Original '59 Lark Wheel = 2 3/8 Inches.

Keep in mind that these Wheels are for the Stock Drum Brakes, and will not have enough clearance for Disc Brake Conversions.

3/4 Inch Hex Lug Nuts, that do not work on other make Wheels that use 13/16" WRENCH Size, Also 1/2 -20 I.D. as apposed to the Stude. 3/4" Wrench Size and different Seat Angles, an easy fix.

3 Humps Molded into the wheel "Center" that hold the Studebaker only sized, small Hubcaps when the Optional Wheel Covers are not used.

thanks Rich for coming thru....15x7 wheels i am looking at have 4 in backspace, never going to disc,
              Last edited by mw2013; 10-24-2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

4 Inches could possibly mean interference with the Suspension Components, Tie Rods, "A" Arms.
                StudeRich

Comment

mw2013 , in future please add a Prefix to posts in the Tech Talk section. I did it for you this time. Thanks.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    mw2013 , in future please add a Prefix to posts in the Tech Talk section. I did it for you this time. Thanks.
                    will do i missed it sorry

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      4 Inches could possibly mean interference with the Suspension Components, Tie Rods, "A" Arms.
                      Good call Rich, as you said 4" backspace on a 15 inch rim is pushing it.

The OP should take one of his 15" wheels, put it on the front (4" should work on the back) and extend it back to 4" by adding a cardboard ring around the inside of the rim and see what happens. 17's are tight on the front of an Avanti, basically same parts, at a 4 1/4" BS except Disc Brakes. The interference comes from the suspension.

Just check before you buy.

Bob

Comment

well then..the offset part of the equation confuses me, is it moot, if i know the backspace?

Comment

There will be a range of backspacings that will work fine. Studebaker probably picked the middle of that range for their OEM wheels. But the original wheels don't have enough to accommodate some disc brake conversions, so different wheels with a bit more BS are required. If you reduced the backspacing to zero (like reversing the wheels) you run the risk of having the tires rub up against the fender lip. If you make it too big, the tires may rub against the suspension. If you want to replace the OEM wheels, get some that are close to the OEM measurement.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                            There will be a range of backspacings that will work fine. Studebaker probably picked the middle of that range for their OEM wheels. But the original wheels don't have enough to accommodate some disc brake conversions, so different wheels with a bit more BS are required. If you reduced the backspacing to zero (like reversing the wheels) you run the risk of having the tires rub up against the fender lip. If you make it too big, the tires may rub against the suspension. If you want to replace the OEM wheels, get some that are close to the OEM measurement.
                            stock is 2 3/8//// i have read some went as far as 6, but that is too inboard, didn't stude use the same basic frame for everything for almost 40 years, so all i have to do is check body width some more, i believe 4( after seeing pictures while searching on this forum) is too inboard which is good news, i can go 3" backspace t get away from the suspension

stock 4.5 wide wheels are weak and narrow, does that me they are worthless and goes in the trash?
                            Last edited by mw2013; 10-26-2020, 05:18 AM.

Comment

The stock wheels were perfectly adequate for the cars that Studebaker was building 60 years ago, and were not really weak when compared to other contemporary wheels. . But the tire industry has changed the aspect ratio 2 or 3 times since then, and there are no modern equivalents to the 6.40 or 6.70 x 15 tires that Studebaker put on their cars then. The OEM wheels certainly are too narrow for the commonly available 215/75x15 radial tires, and were not designed for radials anyway. That said, some of us had good luck with mounting 195 radials on them, but that size has pretty well disappeared from the market place.

If your tires are in good shape, there will be people who will want them. Throwing away usable Stude parts is kinda frowned upon. You might even make a few bucks on the transaction.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X