X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCDave51
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
    And another pic from a '59. The spring usually goes under the bracket and connects to the rear hole in the bracket. This one is hooked in the forward hole. May not be the correct spring. Needs a new one anyway. Click on photo to enlarge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1959 Lark 6.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1866268

And hooking from below, not through the bracket - got it.

Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    And another pic from a '59. The spring usually goes under the bracket and connects to the rear hole in the bracket. This one is hooked in the forward hole. May not be the correct spring. Needs a new one anyway. Click on photo to enlarge.

Name:	1959 Lark 6.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1866268

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Thanks, Ross.

I’d seen the hole, but I didn’t i could finesse the hook through the hole and have it clear the bracket itself back towards the “clip”.

Does the spring pass under the bracket or inside the “triangle” that the bracket creates?

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Just looked on my 58--the forward end of the spring is just hooked on the leading edge of the throttle linkage bracket.

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Wanted to bump this up again, especially to the Lark (and other 170) flathead 6 owners if they could reference their engines.

Still can’t wrap my head around where the forward end of the spring hooks onto, with the rear attached to the hanging clip on the rod.

I’ve included a before and after here. Sorry about the “before” resolution.

Tension has to be forward for the throttle to close positively. There’s a hole on the throttle linkage pivot, but the angle is too severe and it wasn’t used in the “before” pic.

(I know, should have written this down when disassembling...).

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Agreed, StudeRich - what ChampionRuss has shared is likely for the OHV six, as the rod can be seen coming across the firewall behind the engine.

Please keep responses coming, referring first to the drawing I sent in Post #1. I have the spring and the “floating clip (item #0312-29)”, just trying to figure out where the other end of spring hooks.

Having cleaned and marked and sorted every piece as removed, I clearly overlooked details like this! Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It looks like the OHV Six does not use the Adjustable "Floating Spring Clip", so this is the wrong setup for a Flathead.

Also, Automatic Trans., Standard and Overdrive all have different Carb. Linkages.

Leave a comment:

• ChampionRuss
    replied
    Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
    Since the clip “floats” on the rod, the spring must attach downward then (can’t be forward).

Any chance it’s on the distributor clamping bolt?
    1964 170 Studebaker six cylinder engine: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3724.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1862374

Name:	IMG_3722.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1862375

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Since the clip “floats” on the rod, the spring must attach downward then (can’t be forward).

Any chance it’s on the distributor clamping bolt?

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    That little "Clip" is a fully adjustable Spring Tensioner! The Spring tension holds/twists it, and it has almost Infinite adjustment!
    Good to know, thanks. Where did the other end connect?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That little "Clip" is a fully adjustable Spring Tensioner! The Spring tension holds/twists it, and it has almost Infinite adjustment!

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    started a topic Fuel System: Throttle return spring - Lark 6

Throttle return spring - Lark 6

Ok, I neglected to take a thorough-enough photo of my Lark engine bay when removing the engine.

Have one puzzle piece to figure out: its the throttle return spring as circled in the parts manual pic. If someone can shoot me a pic of where it connects at both ends, I’d appreciate it.

The stumper is how the teardrop “key” (p/n 0312-29) simply sits loose on the rod - what stops it from relocating itself up and down the rod? There is no jamb nut - only the clevis.

Thanks everyone.
    Attached Files
Working...
X