Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why can't i just get larger diameter tires instead of changing gears 60 lark with a 3.73?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: why can't i just get larger diameter tires instead of changing gears 60 lark with a 3.73?

what is stock tire and wheel size for a 60 lark 2 dr hardtop? i used an online calculator added 2 inches and the ratio came down from 3.73 to 3.45, 2 birds 1 stone, i get better meats, and keep the gears when i want them

Stock tire was about 6.50 X 15, and O.D. would have been about 25 inches. So, if you were to add 2 inches to that, your new effective ratio would be 25/27 of 3.73, or 3.45. Check. Now, try to find tires that are 2 inches taller without also being so much wider that they won't fit the rims. The aspect ratio of the original tires was probably .80 or .85. That is section height (from bead to tread) divided by section width (between out sidewalls). Modern tires mostly run .60 or .65, and few are .70 aspect ratio. There may be a few legacy tires that are .80

My suggestion? Ford rims, that will support a 205-75R15 tire, and not crack like the Studie rims will, keep the 3.73's, and add overdrive.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      Stock tire was about 6.50 X 15, and O.D. would have been about 25 inches. So, if you were to add 2 inches to that, your new effective ratio would be 25/27 of 3.73, or 3.45. Check. Now, try to find tires that are 2 inches taller without also being so much wider that they won't fit the rims. The aspect ratio of the original tires was probably .80 or .85. That is section height (from bead to tread) divided by section width (between out sidewalls). Modern tires mostly run .60 or .65, and few are .70 aspect ratio. There may be a few legacy tires that are .80

My suggestion? Ford rims, that will support a 205-75R15 tire, and not crack like the Studie rims will, keep the 3.73's, and add overdrive.
      ford don't fit wrong bolt circle, i read mopar 5x4.5?

found this:

225/70R15
      Diameter : 27.4"
      Width : 8.9"
      Wheel : 15" x 6-7.5"
      Sidewall : 6.2"
      Circum. : 86.0"
      Revs/Mile : 736

6.5 inch is 165mm,

going to a 27 incher....that is a 1 inch add on each side may not even be that noticeable to the naked eye

i would go with the whole shebang at that point, tires and wheels a 225/70/15 on 7 inch rims not too wide and, an improvement for the 5 inch rims,

why do stude rims crack? explain?

elaborate on the overdrive? sounds like a lot of money and time and research

i went thru the whole discussion about 700r4, overdrives, 1st gear starts, already, only think left is tires, or gear swap, i need to keep up with Los Angeles freeway traffic, i am gona drive this sucker, and don't want the car to be the cause of any accidents
      Last edited by mw2013; 10-23-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

May I suggest MoPar Cordoba wheels....center hub is more secure with the MoPar then with the FoMoCo which depends to a great extent on just the lug nuts. I have said Cordoba wheels on my Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
          May I suggest MoPar Cordoba wheels....center hub is more secure with the MoPar then with the FoMoCo which depends to a great extent on just the lug nuts. I have said Cordoba wheels on my Avanti.
          as long as they fit with no clearance issues, priced well and accepts the stock hubcaps, any wheel would do, where do i get these? and are 7x15

Comment

Why won't FORD fit? Up until they went metric they were 5 X 4.5 on most cars and have a metric equivalent of 5 X 114.3. That's what is on my Avanti (2000 Mustang). Just be careful of back spacing. You can dig around junkyards or order from any number of suppliers like Summit, Jegs, your local tire store, etc.

Comment

Ford 15" rims DO fit Studebakers. There are various bolt patterns used by Ford, but late-60's - 1980s RWD Ford Crown Victorias (& equivalent Mercurys) used 15x6 & 15x6.5" steel rims (or aluminum). They have a 5x4.5" bolt pattern, like Studebaker. Copies of these wheels are made by Wheel Vintiques. I have a set of these made by WV and a set of original Ford wheels on 2 of my Studebakers. The "offset" is also important--google that on the Forum. Certain Mustang wheels will also fit a Studebaker. Use the Ford lug nuts.

Chrysler used 15x5.5, 15x6, & 15x7 wheels with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. These are ok too.

The original Studebaker rims are just too thin (metal thickness) to use today on radial tires. They will stress crack with radials due to the additional stress radial tires impose. They might be ok to use with bias-ply tires for show or slow driving. Even then, they should be inspected carefully for cracking.
              --Dwight

Comment

You got mislead on the Ford Wheels somehow, you probably got into TOO New a Wheel, Front Drive, Metric, who knows.

For Years the most common and favored replacement wheel was the Older Crown Victoria Ford Wheels they are 15X6 with the proper OFFSET to clear the Steering, Fenders etc. and NLA New.
                Since the early '50's or before, Ford and Chrysler have always been the same as '51 & newer Stude. 5 on 4 1/2" maybe in the 2000's they were changed.

Using over a 215X70R15 or a 215X75R15 will not allow you to TURN the wheels without Floor and or Fender or Tire damage. Also over 6 Inches Wide Wheels normally are not a good fit for the Tires OR the Car.

I can tell you are more Car knowledgeable than the Guys that try and fail to make a Stude. drive like a $60,000.00 Lexus, but you are starting to lean that direction.

Please try to remember that you will be dealing with a 60 Year old Compact, Economy Car!
                Fortunately for us, the '59 and '60 Lark VIII's just happened to be the Fastest Compact Cars available!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 10-23-2020, 10:50 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                  Ford 15" rims DO fit Studebakers. There are various bolt patterns used by Ford, but late-60's - 1980s RWD Ford Crown Victorias (& equivalent Mercurys) used 15x6 & 15x6.5" steel rims (or aluminum). They have a 5x4.5" bolt pattern, like Studebaker. Copies of these wheels are made by Wheel Vintiques. I have a set of these made by WV and a set of original Ford wheels on 2 of my Studebakers. The "offset" is also important--google that on the Forum. Certain Mustang wheels will also fit a Studebaker. Use the Ford lug nuts.

Chrysler used 15x5.5, 15x6, & 15x7 wheels with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. These are ok too.

The original Studebaker rims are just too thin (metal thickness) to use today on radial tires. They will stress crack with radials due to the additional stress radial tires impose. They might be ok to use with bias-ply tires for show or slow driving. Even then, they should be inspected carefully for cracking.
                  --Dwight
                  oh so this is a mandatory upgrade anyways for a driver car, good to know thanks

thin metal is lighter, lighter is better for unsprung weight.... so you are saying the take off stude wheels are worthless junk ?and anyone should upgrade anyways even if they opt for a standard size while running radial?

any horror stories?

to me the 15x7 is the sweet spot, too large , then we're dealing with excess weight and clearance issues
                  Last edited by mw2013; 10-23-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

On my 39 I just ordered shorter tires to get more grunt. I dropped from 235/75r15 to 225/60 effectively changing my 300 rear diff ratio to a 331. Pretty simple and I have another truck to put the tires on I am taking off.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post

oh so this is a mandatory upgrade anyways for a driver car, good to know thanks

thin metal is lighter, lighter is better for unsprung weight.... so you are saying the take off stude wheels are worthless junk ?and anyone should upgrade anyways even if they opt for a standard size while running radial?

any horror stories?

to me the 15x7 is the sweet spot, too large , then we're dealing with excess weight
                      Studebaker rims from 1959-on were 15x4.5", except for the Avanti, which had 15x5" rims (not sure of 65-66). IMHO 4.5" wide rims are just too narrow for safety. The Avanti's 15x5" rims are not too rare, because many Avanti owners have upgraded to 15x6 (or 6.5) rims. I bought a 63 Hawk at York some years ago and it had a set of them on it. The backstory is that, the previous day, it had a set of Halibrand mag wheels on it. Those were sold, so the seller of the Hawk had to scrounge around the flea market for a set of rims, and he found a set of Avanti rims, complete with tires. So, at least, the Avanti 15x5 rims would be better than 15x4.5 rims.

I know of at least one horror story where the Studebaker rim broke and caused a wreck.
                      --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        You got mislead on the Ford Wheels somehow, you probably got into TOO New a Wheel, Front Drive, Metric, who knows.

For Years the most common and favored replacement wheel was the Older Crown Victoria Ford Wheels they are 15X6 with the proper OFFSET to clear the Steering, Fenders etc. and NLA New.
                        Since the early '50's or before, Ford and Chrysler have always been the same as '51 & newer Stude. 5 on 4 1/2" maybe in the 2000's they were changed.

Using over a 215X70R15 or a 215X75R15 will not allow you to TURN the wheels without Floor and or Fender or Tire damage. Also over 6 Inches Wide Wheels normally are not a good fit for the Tires OR the Car.

I can tell you are more Car knowledgeable than the Guys that try and fail to make a Stude. drive like a $60,000.00 Lexus, but you are starting to lean that direction.
                        i just learned the stock rims crack with radial idk how accurate that is, so that is a consideration

if i want to change the gear ratio without going over again what was discussed earlier in other posts, 700r4, no 1st gear starts, $1,000 gear change , second gear starts, invoices...blah blah

taller tires will suffice, while i am at it more width, if i wanted a 60k lexus i would get one, i want a studebaker and trying to address it's shortcomings , factoring cost, effort, benefit, etc so that i can do 75 mph and not spin the motor to high heaven

so you are saying a 27 inch tire will rub?

i might add that the PO installed new front springs and it sit 1" higher, that may help?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

Studebaker rims from 1959-on were 15x4.5", except for the Avanti, which had 15x5" rims (not sure of 65-66). IMHO 4.5" wide rims are just too narrow for safety. The Avanti's 15x5" rims are not too rare, because many Avanti owners have upgraded to 15x6 (or 6.5) rims. I bought a 63 Hawk at York some years ago and it had a set of them on it. The backstory is that, the previous day, it had a set of Halibrand mag wheels on it. Those were sold, so the seller of the Hawk had to scrounge around the flea market for a set of rims, and he found a set of Avanti rims, complete with tires. So, at least, the Avanti 15x5 rims would be better than 15x4.5 rims.

I know of at least one horror story where the Studebaker rim broke and caused a wreck.
                          --Dwight
                          thanks i don't need no rims breaking, i will be doing modern speeds, end of story that is unacceptable and you say my rims are 4.5? that is really narrow, so that has to go, too many reasons not to stay stock

many on face book even went wider to 8 inches or more and 17's, but i want to keep it reasonable and stock looking, if i can get a 225 in there with a minimum 27" height that would be ideal

the rears can handle it but i don't what differing sizes front and back

Comment

The Tire rubbing may happen, but it is ALL about the Wheel Width and offset, they only way to be sure is test fit a Tire/Wheel, even others with the same Car will not have the same Ride Height which may actually Lower the Rear with more weight transfer, there is Limited Tire clearance on all four and the Right Rear is usually closer to the Fender than the Left!

Yes if you leave the Nose High, it will help, "SOME", it is like the Tires, VERY little help for a 3.73 Axle.
                            Only an Overdrive or a Higher Ratio will "Fix" the RPM issue.

The Lexus thing was my whole point Mason, those who expect their Stude. to drive like a Lexus need to just buy one, because it will NOT happen.
                            As I said I think you are smarter than that, but just don't get into TOO many 2020 upgrades on this '60 Lark until you Drive it and learn more about it.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              The Tire rubbing may happen, but it is ALL about the Wheel Width and offset, they only way to be sure is test fit a Tire/Wheel, even others with the same Car will not have the same Ride Height which may actually Lower the Rear with more weight transfer, there is Limited Tire clearance on all four and the Right Rear is usually closer to the Fender than the Left!

Yes if you leave the Nose High, it will help, "SOME", it is like the Tires, VERY little help for a 3.73 Axle.
                              Only an Overdrive or a Higher Ratio will "Fix" the RPM issue.

The Lexus thing was my whole point Mason, those who expect their Stude. to drive like a Lexus need to just buy one, because it will NOT happen.
                              As I said I think you are smarter than that, but just don't get into TOO many 2020 upgrades on this '60 Lark until you Drive it and learn more about it.
                              you are right Rich, i need to drive it first, i am getting ahead of myself

the car is turn key, nothing else to do, nor do i want to 'molest" it in any way, i am an adult, not some wanna be kid racer....i am here to preserve the lark for what it is, and how it cam from the factory, my make it go fast corvette days are over, my motorcycle is for that, i know what the stude is and what it is not. i want to drive it, on the freeeways, and 60mph is simply not going to keep up

a 27 inch tire will yield a 3.4ish rear ratio, and i get better traction and maybe some looks to go with it to boot, that all, $500 to 700 , or maybe less, gets me my ratio and better rubber

no $3000-4000,200r4 or 700r4 swap
                              no$450 NOS 6cyl valve body swaps and who know who can do it and for how much
                              no $750-1400, rear gear swap
                              no keeping it at 3.73 and maxing out at 60mph
                              no getting a 3.07 or 3.31 having spent $1400 to swap it over and have the engine lug in 2nd gear starts

i'll have it lug with the tires for a lot less headache

all this is reversible with a floor jack and a lug wrench and 1 hours work
                              Last edited by mw2013; 10-23-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X