Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Red paint formula on Ray Lin’s site is in error.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Super Red paint formula on Ray Lin’s site is in error.

In checking for the formula for super red on the net I noticed it is listed on Ray Lin’s Studebaker site. To properly interpret the formula, column (1) is the total gram weight per quart, column (2) is total gram weight per gallon, and column (3) is just plain wrong. It it listed as if it represents a formula for two gallons when in fact the color would be way wrong if you mix paint usIng that column. As it turns out column (3) looks to be the total of column (2) weights.
    Just wanted to get this out there. I know Centari is no longer available but just in case I wanted to clear up this mistake. Tried to find Ray-Lin’s email but didn’t have any luck. Maybe somebody out there can forward this info to him.
    Also, Ray has it listed incorrectly as a 64 color. It was only available In 63.
    Last edited by nels; 10-26-2020, 05:19 AM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	63 R2 Standard Nelson Bove2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	1861763 Nels, when you see a Correct Super Red Car in Natural Light, does it look more like between '64 Bordeaux Red and the First Avanti Red, rather than the Burnt Orange Color Nelson's '63 Super Lark at the Muscle Car Show, under Blue Lights appears?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-20-2020, 11:36 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The color of my Standard is pretty much dead on and looks about right in the photo you have posted. I painted that car about 45 years ago using the original formula available in the regular old enamel paint. The updated Centari that I mention in this post is pretty darn close! I always thought the super red to be on the cinnamon side as far as color is concerned. It’s grown on me a lot since I first painted it. It almost looks like a modern day color.

Comment

Thanks Nels, so it would be about as Wrong to call that "Super Red": ...RED, as it is to call the "Honduras Maroon Metallic"/ "Avanti Red": ...RED, as neither actually ARE!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I know there is red in the formula but there is plenty of orange in there also. Maybe they wanted a hot or sort of a Flame color? As I said, it has grown on me to the point that I like it. It is different, just like the car.

Comment

Working...
          X