Aftermarket radiator 2R6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Aftermarket radiator 2R6

Anybody know of an aftermarket radiator to fit my R-series truck ?? I have an older re-core that is 90% plugged up. Doubtful the shop can boil/clean it out. He says the newer re-cores cannot be rodded due to construction. I pulled all the freeze plugs 2-3 years ago (5K miles) and cleaned out the block, only now to be dealing with the radiator. At that time there was no cooling issues, just a blown plug. Is it common for the old blocks (1953) to have so much crud inside that the radiator becomes the cooling system's filter and will continue to get blocked up ??

Retail Price: $315.00
    Our Price: $257.50
    SKU: 221420
    Brand: Radiator Express
    Condition: New
    This radiator made exclusively for 1949-1952 Studebaker pickups

Comment

Not knowing the specs of the Champ vs. Commander engine connections...... Looks like the hoses will be very different in size and location. Do you have experience with this application ? Modifications ? Hoses ?? THX.

Comment

The Commander 6 takes a larger radiator than the Champion 6. In fact, the later Commander 6 takes the same radiator as the V8.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

For my ‘55 V8 pickup, I bought a 4 row copper/brass radiator less than a year ago from US Radiator in California. Would be the same one for your truck with Commander 245”. They had the specs on file; it fit fine and looks almost correct. If I remember right it was in the $600 range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D938898B-BA77-405F-A170-5DCBFC887C04.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	1861651

Comment

Why don't you just take it to a radiator shop and have it recored?

Comment

I was told by the shop that a re-core might go north of $700.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                For my ‘55 V8 pickup, I bought a 4 row copper/brass radiator less than a year ago from US Radiator in California. Would be the same one for your truck with Commander 245”. They had the specs on file; it fit fine and looks almost correct. If I remember right it was in the $600 range.

Click image for larger version Name:	D938898B-BA77-405F-A170-5DCBFC887C04.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	1861651
                Hey, Matt...I'm a little confused (nothing all that unusual). I clicked on the link you provided and found this address on their website... 980 Sutton Bridge Rd, Rainbow City, AL 35906. Not California? It is a great looking radiator and something I will keep in mind if I put the 289 in my truck.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  I was told by the shop that a re-core might go north of $700.
                  WOW!!!! A couple years ago I bought sight unseen a 1963 Champ. I paid a "professional" car inspector about $200 to do a thorough inspection. Somehow he missed the hemorrhaging radiator and several other issues. However, my main issue was rust and I do have a totally rust free Champ.
                  I found an "old timey" radiator shop that re-cored it for $400 + $28 tax.

Comment

I went CASO with one of mine, I think it was a $200 ebay unit. it's holding up, but I don't drive the truck anymore.

Comment

My last time radiator re-core was $350. for a Lark V8. I think the truck radiator is some bigger. Normally I would go re-core, but even after removing the freeze plugs and garden hosing the block to clear flow 3 years ago, I'm leery to think the radiator may just get plugged up again from the 67 year old block. In any event, the < $300. radiator looks tempting hold the different hoses. Looks like the 1.25 top hose goes to 1.5 and is quite a bit longer needing to travel from the top of the tank(relocation).

Comment

It's been a while, but at one time, I had Champion 6 and Commander 6 truck radiators sitting side by side in the garage, and there was a significant difference in their size. The shop manual says the difference is almost 50%: 10.5 gallons vs 15.5 gallons. Admittedly, the R6 models were often sold for heavy duty use, while most R5 trucks went to farmers who never went over 30mph, but I would worry about that Champion radiator being inadequate. The smaller radiator would probably be okay for puttering around town in the winter, but don't try to hit any heavy traffic during the summer.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Funny..... the parts' book shows "several" radiators for the pre-55' models. It then does show the champion radiator as the same as commander for H.D. apps......+

Comment

Yes, they did that again a couple of times in subsequent years. The standard radiator with the larger engine was also used as the HD radiator with the smaller engine. Same thing with radiator shrouds. They could do that because the same radiator support was used in all C-cabs until (I think) the introduction of the 3E40 in 1957, which necessitated cutting the top off the support to accommodate a taller core.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Update: Decided to re-core my radiator. The shop sent me pics of the top tank removed........all the tube tops are crudded up with RTV / silicone....!!! How did that get in there ? I have only used Permatex for any cooling assy. parts. I can only think head gasket by PO ??? RTV ??

Comment

Working...
                              X