Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

SI windshield & seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: SI windshield & seal

Any problems with SI's c/k body windshield or seal for the windshield and c body rear window seal? Also, how dark is the tinted windshield? Thanks.- Jim

I used both of the seals on my C-body with no problems.

Comment

I recently put windows in my 57L. Took about 1/2 hr to do windshield and backglass. The body guy from 6 mi down the road came over with his special tool that appeared to be a radiator hose removing tool that he had dulled the point on. Use the string method. For a sealer, I have begun using Dow-Corning stop cock grease. Yes , I have had a ton of trouble with my Hawk. Even took it to restoration shop and he couldn't do anything with it.(and he is really good) I think if funds allow next year and we aren't too busy avoiding AntiFa rioters, I'll get a new seal from Studebaker Parts Online, pull the windshield out and start all over. Do it on a hot day. Wrap the seal around the windshield for several days before you install it and the leave in the sun to get the rubber nice an pliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
        I recently put windows in my 57L. Took about 1/2 hr to do windshield and backglass. The body guy from 6 mi down the road came over with his special tool that appeared to be a radiator hose removing tool that he had dulled the point on. Use the string method. For a sealer, I have begun using Dow-Corning stop cock grease. Yes , I have had a ton of trouble with my Hawk. Even took it to restoration shop and he couldn't do anything with it.(and he is really good) I think if funds allow next year and we aren't too busy avoiding AntiFa rioters, I'll get a new seal from Studebaker Parts Online, pull the windshield out and start all over. Do it on a hot day. Wrap the seal around the windshield for several days before you install it and the leave in the sun to get the rubber nice an pliable.
        A "57L" is a 1957 Packard sedan or wagon, I assume sedan in your case. This is different glass and moulding than the C/K parts asked about. I was confused at first. I guess that you are just using it as comparison to some "Hawk" that you have.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I installed the back glass, I tried starting the glass at the bottom first. That didn't work, so we installed the top flange into the car, then rolled the bottom in as we pulled the seal in with it. We sell the glass & body sealer designed for windshield seals, as well as the hook tool with the ball on the end, and a rope it in tool.

Comment

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I recently installed front and rear glass in my '64 GT. The gaskets from SI worked well. Yes I did have the glass and garnish moulding wrapped in the gasket for weeks before we installed the glass.I used 3 M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound #08509 for sealing. 1 tube did both.
              Rob in PA.

Comment

Thanks all!-Jim

Comment

Working...
                X