Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fan Shroud Positioning? (57 GHawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Fan Shroud Positioning? (57 GHawk)

Hi, dry-run mounting my fan shroud tonight, and it doesn't seem right to me. I carefully kept the original stacks of washers (3 on one side, 4 on the other) and it is level, but sure seems low vs the picture in 57 Supplement showing supercharger pulley about LEVEL with the shroud, vs an inch or two higher on mine. On the other hand, I've photos of a GHawk from a show where the S/C pulley is about as far above the shroud as mine. Wondering what the important aspects are to locating this, besides obviously having clearance for the fan blade :-) Wouldn't you want it (and radiator) more centered on the fan that mine is? I'm sure the radiator was out when original owner rebuilt the engine so who knows how thick a stack of washers was really under it originally. Thanks! Barry
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1861095Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1861096Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1861097Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1861098

Is it possible that your Engine is just too high?
    Are there ANY Washers under the Front Engine Mounts?

Engine Mount BRACKETS Correct and undamaged?

Correct Front Engine Mounts (Insulators) ?

Frame Rails bent down?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

3 or 4 washers seems about right in all the ones I've done. As long as the fan clears the top about 1/4 " or a little more you're fine. Also member the fenders bolt to the sides of the core support, and alignment there is what is more important.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To me, it looks like the engine is too high and/or the shroud is too low, by about an inch.
        Last edited by studegary; 10-16-2020, 09:15 AM. Reason: correction in dirction
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rich; all new mounting hardware (rubber insulators), no washers on them, correct washers (two on drivers side) on rear mounts, all correct and frame unmolested/excellent condition.
          There is about 1/2' clearance between fan blade and shroud, so not a "problem", just seemed strange, especially after being up at the farm and looking at my '53 Buick, where fan is perfectly centered within the shroud. Oh well, will see what happens when the body and fenders go back on someday. Hadn't thought about that being the 'important' factor I was missing. Probably adjustments to come. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Working...
          X