No announcement yet.

CASO heater control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new diaphragm kit for the OEM Ranco valve is $15 and less than half an hour to install it. Why not fix it right?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      A new diaphragm kit for the OEM Ranco valve is $15 and less than half an hour to install it. Why not fix it right?
      Does that include the manifold mounted heater valves like the one on my '55 six-cylinder truck? I don't have my manual handy right now or I would provide a valve part number. (too lazy). Sometimes, I enjoy tinkering and exploring parts. I once chucked one of those valves in a vice and began taking it apart. It had become a serious leaker. I thought I would quickly remove the innards and make my own packing. Sorry to admit, but it didn't take long after picking at the very hard compacted packing to humble me. $15 bucks to restore one seems very reasonable.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

Does that include the manifold mounted heater valves like the one on my '55 six-cylinder truck?
        The OP mentioned his valve is mounted in the firewall. That style valve was manufactured by Ranco and is used on most postwar Stude cars.

For the valve in your truck, thereโ€™s a modern lip seal that works nicely to replace the packing.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Matt. The ones on my operating vehicles are OK for now, but good to know solutions are available.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes NAPA sells the seal but I've never rebuilt one. I've sent several out to Joe Hudacek in WI.. He rebuilds them and they come back looking new! He also does switch rebuilds.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

$15 for a rebuild kit is not bad. On my Hawk I replaced the stock "in firewall valve" not because it was bad but because it was in the way. I moved my battery from the left side to the right side so that I could install a "hung" brake pedal and power booster with master cylinder where the battery would normally reside on the left. The new heater water valve is in the hose where it passes under the battery now. Yes it is a ball type valve John.
              โ€‹

Comment

I tried the Ranco rebuild kit on a Packard I had; it would take someone with a bit more skill than I (but that's not saying much!) Getting it crimped back together nice and tight was the challenge. I finally got off my wallet & bought one rebuilt by a professional. Better for the economy, anyway. But, I really do like the homebrew valve & could sure see myself putting it into action in the right situations.

Comment

I rebuilt my Ranco valve and so far it has been a succesful CASO fix Here's the link, scroll to the bottom for pictures. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-valve-58-hawk

Comment

Working...
                  X