Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Delco starter 1107651

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Delco starter 1107651

Hi,
    I located a Delco-Remy 1107651 starter. From what I read here, it fits the 1956-1960 V8 automatic transmission application:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ag-number-list

The 1107651 measures about 9 inches long from the bellhousing side of the flange to the far end. The snout is about 2-3/4 inches long measured from that same side of the flange. It has a 9-tooth gear,

Does anyone know of a company that sells rebuilding parts for the Delco-Remy starters of this vintage?
    Thanks
    Carl

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201003_112525253-20_Delco_1107651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	1861065
    Last edited by StudeCat; 10-15-2020, 07:10 PM. Reason: 9" length

If you find a place, check them out before sending them your starter.

In my experience, starter/generator rebuilding places do really slap dash work.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I have a local auto electrical shop that's been around since at least the 1980s that has done good work for me in the past on mainstream GM starters and alternators. This starter might be too old for them. That's why I was asking about availability of parts.

It's nice to pay less for a local shop-rebuilt unit than one that was rebuilt in China. But you're right, some shops don't deliver quality.

Comment

Vintage Voltage in Illinois has been rebuilding my starters and generators since 2013. Excellent work.

Comment

I would find it hard to believe that a Delco Starter for a Studebaker would not share things not peculiar to Studebaker's, like the Field Windings, Bearings, Bushings, Brushes, Brush Springs, Armature with GM -B, O, P + Cad. Cars of that Era.

So any good, longer in Business Auto Electric Shop SHOULD be able to fix you up, I know ours here in my County can.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The only thing that is unique to that Delco number is the Bendix. As Rich said, Delco made families of starters and generators that shared major components. Any good automotive electrical shop (of which only a few are left) will have a copy of the foot-thick Delco book that lists the component parts of each Delco number.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X