Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fulton Exterior Sun Visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulton Exterior Sun Visors

Hi Guys. I just acquired a Fulton sunvisor for my 49 Champion coupe. It came off of a 51 coupe. Since there is no center windshield support, the visor has a large plate that attaches to the roof for the center support. I am about to install, but I hesitate after I saw a query and answers on SDC Forum that mention much higher wind noise and some flutter at higher speeds. Since the item requires four screws on the roof for the support plate I would hate to fully install and then find out that I should not have drilled them! Or worse if the thing tries to blow off.

Does anyone out there have a Fulton on his Stude or know more than I do about them? If so how do you like it? Any recommended modifications? Any installation tips? Oh yeah, where do the two small cap nuts go? They were left over after I assembled it.

Thanks much for your help.

I can't answer your questions, but this guy recently put one on his 52 Land Cruiser (if you do facebook).
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...90473897976584

3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

I put a Comet (Fulton competitor) on my 1950 Commander starlight some 40 years ago.

Instead of the roof mounted plate, I used a polished aluminum tube from the center of the visor down to the cowl, that required a small bracket from a wrecking yard that basically attached to the cowl with horizontal screws, through the cowl, just behind the hood. Such a bracket could easily be made from thin sheet metal.

The resulting vertical tube was not distracting and was mechanically much stronger than the center roof bracket. There was no fluttering/flapping/flopping/noise from the visor.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

You might want to check out Big Jim's out in Texas.

https://bjsfenderskirts.com/

They have been doing visors and fender skirts for decades...
        Good source for info and parts.
        HTIH (Hope the Info Helps)
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Is the Fulton visor a single piece, or two piece visor?
          If it is a two piece visor it will definitely need either a wide roof bracket such as seen on the '52 Land Cruiser above, or a center support rod extending to the cowl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DF6F0FDF-BDBA-4474-BA7B-773D599EC8B2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1861068

If it is a one-piece visor a bracket like those originally installed on Studebakers would suffice.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270496.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1861069
          Attached Files
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Is the Fulton visor a single piece, or two piece visor?
            If it is a two piece visor it will definitely need either a wide roof bracket such as seen on the '52 Land Cruiser above, or a center support rod extending to the cowl.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DF6F0FDF-BDBA-4474-BA7B-773D599EC8B2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.8 KB ID:	1861068

]
            That's pretty close to what I did. It all started by finding that tiny bracket on the cowl. It was on a car in the wrecking yard.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-16-2020, 01:50 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
            X