Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

T-5 in 65 Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T-5 in 65 Cruiser

I just flashed on putting a 2WD S-10 T-5 trans in my 65 Cruiser instead of rebuilding my 3spd. OD. I think it will be a bolt up and go. I did a search but did not find that exact info. Anybody done this swap?

Thanks, Craig

I did a Search for "T-5" and got 109 Strings of Posts!

Here is one 5 speed T-5 Borg Warner that is NOT a Tremac, most everyone has said that the best for a CAR is not a Camaro, or S-10 Pickup, but a Mustang.
    It has the Longest Input Shaft, which is still too short.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-5-trans-to-v8
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-14-2020, 02:59 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Craig, I have never worked on a 65 Cruiser with the Chev engine. You would have to pull the 3 speed in it and measure the main shaft and pilot. Don't have the exact numbers off the top of my head, but the Chevs. are a little over 6" from tranny face to pilot tip. The S10 is the only Chev. type that is about 7" long and with an extended pilot bushing will work in Stude powered Studes. Fords were all over the map for lengths and only mid 90's to mid 2000's will work in Studes. You will have to measure to be sure what you have and what you need before you go blowing money on things you don't need.

Comment

Thanks for the info...I'll have to pull the box and start measuring. It may be a bit of a hassle but I won't know until I try.

Craig

Comment

Went out and measured some Ford is 7.20" Chev is 6.625" Stock. If you have a Chev. pattern trans. and it is longer than 7" you will have to use the S10. A short pencil is better than a long memory.

Comment

Thanks Alan, I will ask around town to see if I can take some meas. off a S-10 trans

Comment

I did this on my 66 Commander, I used the existing bell housing, but I used a T5 out of a ‘83 Camaro and swapped out the tail shaft from a S10, which would let the shifter fit with the bench seat. Everything else bolted in place and lined up, I did use the Mustang trans mount, didn’t have to change much in the mount crossmember, but I did have a Chevy driveshaft shortened, don’t remember how much though.
              Kenneth Smolecki

Comment

Thanks Ken...every bit of info sure helps. I've heard that the S-10 2wd would be the best if I can find one.

Craig

Comment

I don't quite understand. Have you installed the S10 T5 and did it fit or are you just speculating on using the S10 T5 tranny. If you haven't spent the money yet, then there is another route to go. I know the Mustang T5 doesn't come in the S10 configuration but the tranny is stronger and fits better. Using the Fairborn adaptor with the extended pilot bearing and modified flange it bolts right in and you can use the original speedo cable. You will have to get a longer drive shaft but the splines fit. Now we talk about the shifter location. A company called White Lightning makes a shifter adaptor that moves the handle forward 4-7" and is an excellent unit. Remember that you nave to cut the tunnel to allow the entire shifter mechanism to come through the floor or the cross member won't install properly.
                  Warren

https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/...m-magnum-t-56/

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04962.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1861718

Comment

Thanks Warren, I am speculating now and and I am waiting to see if a local salvage yard has the S-10 tranny I hope I need. Will know tomorrow. I did not know there were so many options out there for adapting different T-5s. A friend said he has a Mustang unit if I have to go that route

Comment

The Ford will not bolt to the Chev. Stude housing. Chev has a 4.680" register the Ford is larger and would have to be turned down. and the bolt pattern is different. Go with one of the Chev. units, depending on the dimensions of your old tranny that you have taken. You did measure twice and cut once didn't you?

Comment

If you use the Fairborn adaptor, everything fits. The Mustang T5 is stronger and most importantly, you use the stock speedo cable. I have two vehicles using the GM T5 but I chose to put the Mustang T5 in my Lark. Chevs in Studebakers used a bell housing with a Chev pattern to the block and a traditional Stud pattern to the tranny which is more Ford then Chev. Even using the Chev T5, you still need an adaptor and a pilot bearing. The kit comes with a release bearing flange that indexes the tranny. Talk to Phil Harris at Fairborn.
                        Warren

Comment

Now you can see why I told you to take it apart and take some measurements and some pics.

Comment

Still waiting to see if the local salvage yard can find one. The one they had was a 4WD model. Said they might have one buried in their other lots. Their cars are stacked in like cord wood. I'll just wait and see. My last question is if my speedo cable can adapt.

Comment

I see Fairborn Studebaker adaptor being mentioned, that I believe is to adapt a GM trans to a Studebaker engine, the 65, if stock is a GM engine, you just need a Chevy bellhousing which is from a SBC or the 4.3 if your looking at the S10 trans, if your looking at the Mustang trans then you can use a later Camaro bellhousing as they used the World Class T5 from a Mustang in the later Camaro, I believe. The differences in input shaft in the later models I’m not sure of.
                              Kenneth Smolecki

Comment

Working...
                              X