Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

64GT Hawk headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 64GT Hawk headlights

My headlights worked until they didn’t. I’ve replaced the dimmer switch and the headlight switch and still no lights. I’ve probed the dimmer switch terminals with a test light and nothing. What do I try next?

You have to trace the Power from the Ammeter to the Headlight Switch Circuit Breaker, and then to the Parking and Headlight Terminals.

You either have a bad Hd. Lt. Sw. or wired it wrong, if no Power is going to the Dimmer.
    What about the Parking Lights and Tail Lights, that would be another clue as to what is wrong if we knew if they work.

Most White Knob '63/'64 Hawk Head Light Switches are for some time Now, Reproduction, do you know it it is NOS or New?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Do you have tail lights and instrument lights that work? If they do, then the circuit breaker on the headlight switch is good. If not, then the problem is with the headlight switch or power to the switch and not the dimmer switch. This may be an unnecessary question, but are both headlight bulbs good and are the connections on the back of the bulbs clean and tight. Also check the connections from the dimmer switch to the headlight bulbs as they may be loose, disconnected or corroded. Bud

Comment

I bought both switches from SI. The headlight switch was in a S P box

Comment

Sometimes one is as bad as the other!

The NOS ones have been sitting on a shelf SO long depending on the direction, some have the Grease for the Ball Swivel (Toggle) running on the contacts and insulating them.

I really doubt that it was NOS, unless it was in an Old Brown cardboard Box with the deteriorating paper SP Label, the Fresh, New White Boxes with New Labels, are Repro. Boxes AND Parts.

On the other Hand, we get more Bad things from China than the "China Virus"!

If you do the testing you will find the issue.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X