Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

steering box adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: steering box adapter

I have a 56 Power Hawk with a Ross steering box. It is leaking and seems like it has flat spots in it. When I purchased the car it came with a Saginaw box out of a Lark. Having not owning a Stude for a number of years. I found an article on replacing the Ross box with a Saginaw box and making a plate to do so I believe the article was from a 1998 Turning Wheels. But they did not give any dimensions for the plate. Does anyone here have/know them and what reach rod(drag link ) will work?

I have that same project here to do. The article doesn't give actual dimensions but if you scale the drawing to 100%, it turns out you basically just move the stock mounting holes 2 -7/16" forward to account for the different mounting bracket on the saginaw box. As the article suggests, it might be a good idea to make the adapter in wood first to be sure things fit before making it in metal.
    sigpic

Comment

You also have to do something so that the steering wheel will fit. 56 was the last years of the larger diameter steering shaft and 57 had a smaller diameter shaft.

The same shaft will have to be lengthened as well to fit the C body.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I want to use the smaller wheel it will be more comfortable for me. Do you have to lengthen the drag link also or do I need one out of a Lark?

Comment

Here's the link to a TW article on that swap

https://studebaker-info.org/TW/tw1098/tw1098p28.html
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

It says the Original '55 Reach Rod is attached to the Saginaw Pitman Arm!

That sounds like a C or K Reach Rod (Drag Link) from a Ross, should work.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank You for the article. It does not give any dimensions for the plate though as to length or width. But it did tell me how much to lengthen the shaft and tube.

Comment

StudeRich , I did notice that about the reach rod after reading the article again.

Comment

From the Studebaker Technical Tips

Comment

Thank you so much, where can I find those tech tip pages?

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Norm!

Originally posted by NormK View Post
                      Thank you so much, where can I find those tech tip pages?
                      At the top of these Pages it says: "Studebaker Drivers Club" on Black, click that for the Home Page, then click "Resources" and you find many helpful things including the "Tech. Tips, Specs. and Data" Link.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank You StudeRich

Comment

thank you "leosnake"
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                          X