Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine Turned Panel polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Engine Turned Panel polishing

So the glove box door my car had, was all bent. I found a replacement but it isn’t much better than my original one. Is there a way to polish the stainless part without wrecking it?
    Attached Files
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

I believe it is an aluminum overlay. You must be very gentle with it. I have only used windex and a soft rag to clean one.

Comment

You would probably be better off getting a replacement aluminum overlay. Those look pretty rough. There are still some fairly nice ones out there.
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Those are stampings and not turnings.
        Shining them up also removes the anodizing.
        Gentle...
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

They are embossed anodized aluminum. They are not able to be easily polished...

Comment

There's one on ebay now, looks better than either of the two you have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studeb...MAAOSwvppe6A1p

Comment

Thank you for the EBay link. I swear I’ve been looking for such things on there and not coming up with anything... I must need to sharpen my search skills.

Comment

If you snagged that you got a Deal, that is not the just Overlay you need, it's the Complete Door with Overlay, Hinge and Lock!

People that do not actually OWN Studebakers and know the Parts, do not usually place much Value on them.
                You know the type, just cleaning out the former owner's Junk in the Garage.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This might be nitpicking, but when it comes to metal, there is a difference in cleaning and polishing. Even though these aluminum panels are rather delicate in nature, I believe there are cleaning agents on the market that can clean without abraiding the finish. Metal polishes usually have an abrasive in their makeup and probably should be avoided. As Jeff Rice points out, any anodized finish should be addressed by the product chosen. I know I have purchased a cleaner for use on aluminum that claims to be safe for aluminum but I do not recall if it addressed anodized finishes?
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

IMO your best bet is getting a new overlay. As an exercise you might try cleaning your unusable piece. Use something like Pre-Sol, and spray it with a very thin coat of clear lacquer. It's not going to be perfect, and some of the pitting will show through the clear, but it will give you an idea of the best that you can expect from your part. I would also use a semi gloss rather then a gloss finish.

Comment

Well the new overlay and glove box door showed up today. They aren’t much better than the other ones I have... the dash overlay has an extra hole in it, but I was toying with the idea of putting a Tach where the Vacuum gague is now and either doing a vacuum or clock where the extra hole is. But that’s waaaaaaay down the road...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X