Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

61 Hawk fin insert paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 61 Hawk fin insert paint

Does someone know of a source for the Pearl Beige paint used in the '61 Hawk fin insert. The Stude # is BFN-1149. PPG 21447. RM P-6147. My local paint stores can't seem to cross any of these #'s. I'd like to cross it to an acrylic enamel. Unfortunately I don't have a sample to do a Spectra match.
    Thanks for any help.

www.autocolorlibrary.com

These people are in California and claim to be able to provide any color needed.

Comment

It is not so much can't as it is don't want to bother for a pint of paint. Local Carquest hasn't failed me yet. They'll call Dupont and get a match within a few minutes to an hour. You should have the original paint codes from 1961. OK. Just did a little research. The + or - 3" strip under the fin in 1961 was always white; beige would be the wrong color. It was called Ermine P-8111 (R-M) or 4218 (Dupont)3 I use Nason acryllic enamel. White--not beige!
      Last edited by Jeffry Cassel; 10-13-2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
        It is not so much can't as it is don't want to bother for a pint of paint. Local Carquest hasn't failed me yet. They'll call Dupont and get a match within a few minutes to an hour. You should have the original paint codes from 1961. OK. Just did a little research. The + or - 3" strip under the fin in 1961 was always white; beige would be the wrong color. It was called Ermine P-8111 (R-M) or 4218 (Dupont)3 I use Nason acryllic enamel. White--not beige!
        I believe that it was Pearl Beige, not "white".
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Pearl Beige is correct. autocolorlibrary.com as mentioned in post #2 shows it as an "insert color".

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

I believe that it was Pearl Beige, not "white".
            I am going on memory. I suggest going to Fred K. Fox's Feature Article on 1961 Hawks for the answer. He did a lot of research on this.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have NEVER seen this strip painted beige . Ever. I went to a Ditzler chip chart and they do say it was used only in the accent stripe, HOWEVER that does not mean that they were all painted that color; it means it was an option. If you ordered a white car, you'd want this strip to be a different color than white. My car is blue and the strip is white. I got it when it was 9 years old. It was 100% original and the strip was white. Ed Reynolds book says they were "off white" Almost all were white. What color is the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                I have NEVER seen this strip painted beige . Ever. I went to a Ditzler chip chart and they do say it was used only in the accent stripe, HOWEVER that does not mean that they were all painted that color; it means it was an option. If you ordered a white car, you'd want this strip to be a different color than white. My car is blue and the strip is white. I got it when it was 9 years old. It was 100% original and the strip was white. Ed Reynolds book says they were "off white" Almost all were white. What color is the car?
                They were all built with the same color stripe, Pearl Beige, which to me looks more like an off white than a beige. Speaking of white 1961 Hawks, the local Studebaker dealer would not display a new, white 1961 Hawk until they repainted the stripe to match the interior color of the car. Of course, people that purchased these cars new swore that it was built that way.
                Please check Fred K. Fox's Feature Article in "Turning Wheels" covering 1961 Hawks (and probably follow-up items).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                X