No announcement yet.

Water pumps (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you state, that fan sits too far back from the shroud.
    The fan also looks to be of too small a diameter to work properly.
    In my opinion, 15/40 oil is way too viscous, and is probably contributing to your problems.
    Have you removed the core plugs and cleaned out the engine block?

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The configuration on the Hawks and earlier C/K cars was ideal. The fan shroud provides maximum flow through most of the radiator instead of flow just near the fan as you get with cars that have the fan very close to the radiator. For maximum fan efficiency the fan should have a minimum clearance to the shroud and the fan should be inside the shroud if possible.

I have never had a problem on a Hawk with overheating with a decent radiator and a properly running engine.

David L
      David L

Comment

Chuck, you may want to consider a 3 row radiator instead of 2, if it hasn't already been suggested. 3 rows were considered heavy duty by Studebaker and were original on AC equipped V8s. Thanks. Dan

Comment

The radiator guys are telling me that there has been a change in thinking on radiators. I have to admit that I have forgotten the specific numbers, but they are finding that a two row with wide spacing makes for more cooling than a three row with narrow spacing between the tubes. As to the fan, I gave that 5 blade fan to Allen Songer, and acquired a 6 blade, with more diameter from Dave T. It fits the shroud better, and I should have a picture, but the water pump broke. The pic of the fan is at the top of this thread, with my watch dog watching over it.

Comment

Oh, yeah, and after I use the rest of this case of 15/40, this car will use 5/30 like everything else that I own, except I will throw in a bottle of zinc with each change. Done with the thick stuff.

Comment

Chuck, here's what I think. I don't think that your Hawk came from the factory equipped with an AC unit and/or if the dealer or whoever installed the unit on the car, well, it was done improperly. I base my statements on the fact that my car is AC factory equipped. Factory equipped 63 Hawks cars came with a fan clutch and a 6 bladed fan 18" diameter. I don't know what year your car is but your engine is likely to be a 60-62 based on your oil fill and valve covers. You are correct in thinking that your fan does not project into the shroud far enough. On an AC equipped Hawk using the York compressor, the shroud had to be trimmed back a bit near the compressor only for added clearance. It looks as though someone has trimmed the entire circumpherence of your shroud. 360 degrees. Not correct. It is now not deep enough and you may cut your fingers off. Get another shroud and trim it properly. Your fan, clutch, and spacer assembly may have been out of balance causing the non heavy pump casting to fail. Maybe your belt was tightened too much or perhaps both. Let us know. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Chuck, here's a picture of my 64 R1 Hawk. It came with heavy duty cooling. The same setup was used on factory AC. The shroud and blades look the same to me as yours. The original fan was a five blade silicone setup. If I recall, they used a fixed six blade fan for extra cooling in years prior to the development of the silicone (viscous) setup.

Looks like my blades are about where yours are. I used to see mechanics cut a notch out of the longer non AC shrouds when some sort of after market AC was added in order to clear the compressor

Comment

I have a 64 GT Hawk with all factory A/C components. The shroud is quite long and, in fact, there's a cut out to clear the compressor clutch. I use a 6 blade fan without a viscous coupler and it is noisy, but there are no cooling problems.
                  I'll take some pics tomorrow..

Bob Johnstone

http://www.studebaker-info.org
                  55 President State Sedan
                  64 GT Hawk
                  70 Avanti (R3)
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Please do. I used to think that all of this was fairly basic, but time has eroded a lot of my memories of how these things were back in the day...........Used to pull the engine and rebuild it in the time it has taken to write this thread.... my how things have changed.

Comment

Pics of my 64 GT with factory air. Six blade fan. No viscous coupler yet. L o n g shroud with overhang on top. Almost looks like a 6 cylinder shroud with a hunk cut out of it. On the PS pic, I added a strip of tape so the outline is easy to see.

<P>

Bob Johnstone

http://www.studebaker-info.org
                      55 President State Sedan
                      64 GT Hawk
                      70 Avanti (R3)
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Now it all makes sense. I guess the fast and nasty way to do A/C was to chop the shroud off. They did not bother to put a bigger fan in either. Thanks for all the help. You all are the best.

Comment

It's been 18years since I built and installed A/C on my 7E7 62 T cab truck. I learned at that time Studebaker produced FOUR different V8 water manifolds! There are different water pump flange spacing distances between the manifold and radiator among them.
                          You have to consider this spacing distance in your water pump selection process.

At this date God only knows who switched what parts on your vehicle over its 40 or 50 year life span.
                          Parts books say this:
                          0505-34 1555739 Water manifold AVANTI RQ engine
                          0505-34 1557961 Water manifold JT equipment 1963-64
                          0505-34 1548349 Water manifold 1959-60 V8 passenger car
                          0505-34 1551031 Water manifold 1961-64 V8 passenger car
                          Stude8

1928 Commander GB

Comment

Hey Bob:
                            can you print a picture of your condensor and prop rod? I'd like to see how it compares to mine. Thanks! Dan

Comment

I'll get a pic this afternoon. The prop rod is a different part number on cars with A/C. It's either longer or shorter, as the hole for it, on the top rad support is blocked. I had to make some changes when I got to that part of the reassembly...

(1 hour later)...
                              The pics show the situation. If you try and use the prop rod in the original hole, it can't lay down enough to get to the clip because it's blocked by the condenser .
                              I drilled another hole above it a couple inches and this works fine. The different rod called in tha Parts manual, might have a dogleg in it.

<P>

Bob Johnstone
                              www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                              55 President State Sedan
                              70 Avanti (R3)
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thanks, Bob! Dan

Comment

Working...