Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Stuck Avanti hood help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Stuck Avanti hood help

Joe and I went to look at an Avanti a lady has for sale. The hood cable is frozen and won't budge. Is there a way to access the rear opening Avanti latches like the front ones on the other Studebakers?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

At the rear of the fenders right below the latch is a round rubber access plug. (about 1 1/4") pop it out, and use a flat screwdriver to push the latch inwards, and release the dovetail. Yo have to do it to both sides.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      At the rear of the fenders right below the latch is a round rubber access plug. (about 1 1/4") pop it out, and use a flat screwdriver to push the latch inwards, and release the dovetail. You have to do it to both sides.
      Is this hole inside the fender well or under the car? We are completely new at the Avanti thing. Would a picture be possible?
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Inside fender well directly under rear corners of hood.

Comment

I think I can find it. Thanks.
          We are really curious to check the car out better. It left the factory as an R-2 and then the Avanti II factory removed the supercharger and replaced it with air conditioning. The lady says she still has the supercharger and original wheels. I hope the other supercharger bits are there too. We have to go back with air for the tires and a jack so we can get under the car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5634.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.3 KB ID:	1860314Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5646.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	1860315
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

After checking some info, I found that the car is a 1964 model. It was early enough that the serial number still had 63R in it though.
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              After checking some info, I found that the car is a 1964 model. It was early enough that the serial number still had 63R in it though.
              To me, this is not possible. The 63R went to R much earlier than the first 1964. It is probably a 1963 that wasn't sold/titled until the 1964 model year and then it could have a 1964 registration (reference: Studebaker Service Letter G-1964-3). What is the Serial Number of the Avanti in question?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Like I said we are not Avanti experts, but the information I saw said the 63R prefix was not dropped until May of 64. https://studebaker-info.org/avanti_all.html The car is 63R3090.
                Last edited by 52-fan; 10-11-2020, 07:09 PM.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Like I said we are not Avanti experts, but the information I saw said the 63R prefix was not dropped until May of 64. https://studebaker-info.org/avanti_all.html The car is 63R3090.
                  I think you mean May of 1963 (not '64). The last Studebaker Avanti was built in December 1963.

Your SN of 63R3090 falls just before the change to no year code in the SN. Bob Johnstone's website states: "Effective with Serial Number R-3100 the year designation (63 prefix to the serial number) was removed from the serial number plate."

Note that there were 1963 model Avantis built after R-3100. They just didn't have the year in the SN.
                  --Dwight
                  Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I was just going by what it said on the site referenced. It doesn't really matter as the car is registered as a 64.

Notes:Ref: Service Letter # G-1964-3B, dtd 13 May 1964. SUBJECT: Car Serial Number - Avanti Models. "Effective with Serial Number R-3100 the year designation (63 prefix to the serial number) was removed from the serial number plate.
                    After the above serial number all Avanti models are identified only by the letter "R" followed by the serial number."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The May 1964 date is the Service Letter date of a Letter supplementing one dated 9/27/63. It states the 63 was dropped effective with R-3100. This number has been disputed.

R-3090 was assembled in February 1963. The first 1964 Avanti was R-4835, assembled in July 1963. Many 1963 Avantis were not sold until the 1964 model year and were registered/titled as 1964s.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

The May 1964 date is the Service Letter date of a Letter supplementing one dated 9/27/63. It states the 63 was dropped effective with R-3100. This number has been disputed.

R-3090 was assembled in February 1963. The first 1964 Avanti was R-4835, assembled in July 1963. Many 1963 Avantis were not sold until the 1964 model year and were registered/titled as 1964s.
                        Makes sense. In any case we are picking the car up this week. The deal was too good even without looking under the hood.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5688.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1861093 We got the car home today. One stuck brake slowed down the process, but we made it.
                          We found the holes for accessing the latches, but I couldn't budge them. I may not be prying on the right part or it may be stuck like that brake. In any case, Joe bought the car, so it is our problem. We got a lot more parts than we expected.
                          Last edited by 52-fan; 10-15-2020, 07:07 PM.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I got the hood open. We pulled off a wheel so I could get under the car and look into the hole. Once I saw the spot it was easy. I did the other side by feel and popped it right open. We also got the cable freed up. The under hood area looked better than I feared, but it needs lots of cleaning and we don't know if the car will run.
                            Last edited by 52-fan; 10-17-2020, 03:47 PM.
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Not to be preachy, but this is a good time to remind those that park their cars for the winter to pop the hood and don’t set the parking brake. It makes for a better wakeup in the spring🙂

Comment

Working...
                              X